Chapter 1: The beginning (because I suck at naming.)

Thursday, May 21st

Brandon was smothering. He couldn't breathe. 

At least, that's how it felt. Kids kept getting Pokemon every year and leaving this hellhole of a town while for some reason, he and his friends were still stuck here. There wasn't much reason behind it, other than the fact that Brandon's father had disappeared the year he and his friends were to get a Pokemon, so his mother delayed it by... 5 years, now.

A knock on the door. Brandon groaned. He only knew two people who would bother him at 8:30 in the morning.. 

He shuffled down the stairs and opened the door to see one of them standing there. 

"Dude, we've gotta get out of here," Kyle whined. He had moved to Nuwork Town about 6 years ago and became inseparable from Brandon. He was a whiny 9 year old who grew up to become a slightly less whiny 15 year old. Other than that, he was still a few inches shorter than Brandon, as he had been since they met.

"I know, I know.." Brandon grinned sheepishly. "I'd be dead if we just ran off, though."

"Then we'll have to get some help getting out."

Brandon turned his head to see the other early morning nuisance, though this one was slightly less annoying.

"Finally, intelligent life that doesn't spend half the day complaining," Brandon grinned at Charlie. Being his only friend until Kyle came around, he was much less annoyed by Charlie's antics than Kyle's complaints. Charlie looked less than amused for a moment before shaking her head. 

"Is this what you morons do when I'm busy? Insult each-other?"

"Well, technically speaking, you just called us morons, insulting us-"

"Shut up, Brandon."

"Okay."

Brandon was no stranger to these back and forth arguments. As the only three kids their age in a tiny town, they had learned to have fun by screwing around. Case in point: Kyle and Charlie's debate on who was better at Water Polo. Long story short, that was one unhappy Remoraid, and one soaking wet Professor's Lab when they rushed in for towels. 

"Spruce said he'd give you a Pokemon, Bran," Charlie began. "Your mom apparently said you could have it. Don't argue it, just take the ball and hurry." Brandon rushed his way to the lab and had just grabbed his Pokemon when a panting and exhausted Kyle ran in. 

"Let's fight!" Kyle grinned. "My Mareep against your Marill!" 

Brandon groaned. It wasn't a fair fight by any definition of the word, and Brandon ended up losing due to Mareep's Static ability, but it was close. "Nice! Now come on Brandon, we've got to leave before your mom changes her mind." Brandon nodded and they made their way through the path to the next town.