Chapter 25: Stuck in Pine Town

Early the next morning, Brandon was annoyed (as per usual).

It felt that (at least to him) they had spent an unnecessarily long time in Pine Town.

"Can we go to the next town yet?" Brandon asked impatiently. Kyle shook his head.

"Nope. We're waiting for Sofie to get out."

"Dude. They clearly have some evidence if they're arresting her."

"That doesn't mean that she did it!"

"We can't stay here forever. This is an adventure for Pokémon, Kyle. Not for finding a girlfriend," Brandon snapped.

This time, Kyle didn't back down, and instead continued talking.

"You've pretty much taken the role of leader of the group, which in itself is stupid, especially since you have no leadership skills. Seriously, dude. Charlie is right when she tells you to be nice to people. You wouldn't want us to leave you behind, would you?"

"I've got a solution if you two will shut up," Charlie told them. "Just keep paying for this room for now, and when she comes back she can read a note we left here saying where we're going."

Kyle frowned, and Brandon smiled, but both nodded. "Alright," they replied. Charlie stood up, packing her loose belongings into her bag.

"I'm ready to go," she spoke quietly.

Brandon and Kyle turned to eachother and grinned sheepishly.

"You see, the funny thing is.. most of our stuff is in a literal crime scene," Brandon sighed.

"As opposed to.. a figurative crime scene?" Kyle joked.

"Shut up," Brandon chuckled. Neither of them were too mad at eachother, they just had differing opinions.

"Oh, boy," Charlie shook her head. "I would suggest you go to Ashbourne to buy some essentials there, but I really don't think Brandon is mature enough to stay out of trouble. I'll pick up some toothbrushes and potions, stuff like that. You guys have clothes, I assume?"

"Yeah, we were allowed to get our clothes, but that's all," Kyle shrugged. Brandon nodded, and Charlie got up and walked out.

Charlie walked along the path back to Ashbourne. A few minutes after leaving, someone tapped her on the shoulder. She winced and turned around, taking out her headphones.

"Kyle?" She still spoke quietly, as though she felt they were being watched.

"I wanted to come with you. I told Brandon to stay back, and I think he'll listen. But we need to talk now."

She nodded.

"We need to do something to help Sofie. It's unfair. She's basically part of the group, and we wouldn't leave Brandon behind.. though I want to sometimes."

Charlie sighed. "Kyle, I don't think this is a good idea to get ourselves into any more problems. They knew where we were staying, and they killed THE CHAMPION just to prove that they could mess with us. Sofie is innocent, I agree.. but there isn't a way to stay out of trouble."

"You can't be serious. Am I the only one here who actually wants justice, even if it's not easy? You're pathetic, Charlie."

Kyle turned and began to walk away.

"Fine! I'll help. Not for you. You're being an asshole right now. But Sofie is a good friend."

Kyle smiled, as two Team Razor grunts hopped from the bushes.

"Perfect timing," the grunts chuckled. "If you two are going to mess with our plan, we can just eliminate you in a battle! Golbat, Mightyena, go!"

Charlie reached down at her belt and grabbed Ivysaur's Pokeball. Kyle tossed out Quagsire.

Ivysaur sent leaves at the two Pokémon, while Quagsire shot mud at Mightyena. Mightyena quickly fell, and Golbat used Supersonic.

Ivysaur wandered around for a while, and
Quagsire used Slam. Golbat used Leech Life, and then fell to a second Slam.

"Ugh. Fine then, you beat us. Why do we even battle these kids anyway? All they do is cause trouble for us," one grunt whined.

"I don't know," the other admitted. "It was a lot easier to take orders from Sofie, she was nicer. Our new admin is a jerk."

"You mean Marla?" Kyle replied, cracking a smile. The grunts frustrated expressions quickly turned to anger, and Kyle and Charlie started running.

"You're no smarter than Brandon.." Charlie muttered. "Go back to Pine. I'll come help you with Sofie when I'm done shopping, okay?" Kyle nodded, and the two walked in opposite directions.