- Part 4

The first lesson of the day was sex education with Mikazuchi-sensei. I didn't have any interest in this subject whatsoever, so instead of paying attention, I was messaging Yukina the next steps I wanted to take.

Since she was better at communication than me, I instructed her to tell everyone in the Takanori group about the Vanguard training sessions I'd be holding during break, lunch, and after school. Those that wanted to join were free to come, but those that didn't want to join didn't have to come.

There was no point in forcing someone to come if they didn't want to. However, since they stood up for me, I felt some sort of responsibility to help them out in my own way. I already guessed Rinbayashi, Kouji, and Tanaka wouldn't come to the Vanguard sessions due to their anti-social personalities, so I'd have to contact them separately.

However, while I was playing on my phone, Mikazuchi-sensei pointed his bamboo stick at me.

"Takanori-san!"

I was surprised by his sudden call. I slipped my phone into my pocket and quickly replied to show that he had my attention.

"Yes, Mikazuchi-sensei?"

"It looks to me that you're not following along in class. Your poetry anthology isn't open."

Strangely, Mikazuchi-sensei's lessons had shifted from how to have safe sex to analysing erotica. It was no different from a Japanese lesson, except the material we were reading was now about sex.

"Sorry."

I apologised and opened up the book of poems we were studying. Usually, we'd use digital textbooks downloaded onto our school issued tablets. However, Mikazuchi-sensei opted to give us physical books, since he believes literature is best consumed through a book, rather than a device.

I agreed with this notion, but it was far more convenient to have everything on this slim twelve inch tablet, rather than carry around stack of textbooks in my bag. Well, at the very least, since we weren't using our tablets this lesson, it gave me a chance to charge it using the portable chargers the school had also given us.

The tablets had a twelve hour battery life, meaning it had more than enough battery to be used throughout the school day with no problems. However, I hadn't charged it for a few days, resulting in a dangerously low battery. Thankfully, the portable chargers we received were lightning ports, so they fully charged our tablets in under an hour. By the time Mikazuchi-sensei's lesson is done, my tablet should be fully charged.

Technology aside, this lesson was about a poem written in English, To His Coy Mistress. The anthology provided both the Japanese translation and the original. I might be fluent in English, but this poem was so ancient, even I struggled to understand it. Just as I thought I was safe to continue texting Yukina, Mikazuchi-sensei continued to pick on me.

"Takanori-san, while you're still paying attention, I'd like you answer the meaning of this section of the poem next: My vegetable love should grow, vaster than empires and more slow. Any ideas?"

I slowly stood up with the poem anthology in my hands to answer. I wasn't sure what it meant, since it was my first time reading it, but I guess I had to give it a shot.

"Uh... his love grows slowly and needs nurturing from her to bloom fully?"

"That's the interpretation printed on your textbook, yes."

Mikazuchi-sensei replied sarcastically. It seems my plan of using a pre-prepared answer failed.

"What I want from you Takanori-san is something original. Something that you came up with all by yourself! Tell me, when you read this line, what interpretation do you get from it!?"