SS Satou Ishigami: The New Transfer

I couldn't believe it.

On the 31st May, I received a notification from the school that I was being moved up to C Class.

When I checked my uniform, the coloured lining had already been changed to Megiddo Blue. The tie as well.

"No way... no way, no way, no way!"

Panic seeped into the very core of my body.

I was deeply against this. I didn't want to change class.

I wanted to stay in D Class, together with Zyriot and the others!

Why was I being moved up? I haven't done anything impressive at all...

I was just Zyriot's right hand man. Nothing more, nothing less.

My grades were average and I died in the war due to my own incompetence.

There was no way I was being promoted...

I could list at least ten other people who deserved moving up before I do. Zyriot being one of them, right at the top.

Though... I knew he couldn't, since he's class representative. Class representatives can't change classes unless they forfeit their position as rep.

Since I was changing nations, that meant I could no longer live in the Zoa Green dorm anymore. That weekend, I spent the rest of my time packing my things and moving into the Megiddo Blue dorms.

On 1st June, I went to school and followed the instructions given to me by the notification. I was to meet with my new homeroom teacher, Akusa-sensei, in the teacher's lounge.

"Yo, Satou-san! Good to have you on board."

I stared at my blue tie in dismay.

"...yeah, I guess."

The other students that were being transferred were also here. From D Class, it looked like only two others were being transferred, Mikitaka and John. They were wearing Drachma Red uniforms, which meant they were going down to E Class.

I looked over to Mikazuchi-sensei, who was with Ishima and Jomko. They were wearing Zoa Green uniforms, meaning they were moving up to D Class.

Before I headed to C Class with Akusa-sensei, I went up to Mikazuchi-sensei and started asking why I was being moved up.

"...Mikazuchi-sensei."

"Oh hey, Satou-san! Congrats on moving up."

"...why?"

"What do you mean why?"

"Why me? Why did you move me up?!"

"Zyriot-san and Horie-san aside, you're D Class's best student."

He's lying... he's definitely lying through his teeth.

"No way... that's impossible. There's no way that's true! I died in the war, didn't I?!"

"You're focusing too much on one aspect, Satou-san. At this school, we measure everything about a person. Just because you failed in one area doesn't mean you can't make up for it in another."

"With all due respect, sir, I think you should reconsider your snap evaluation of me. Because as far as I can see, I'm beaten out by plenty of others in all sorts of aspects! If it's grades, Tetsuya-san beats me! If it's sports, Souichirou-san beats me! If it's sociability, Haruko-san beats me! All those people deserve to up before I do! I've done nothing of note except be Zyriot's right hand!"

"And that's the reason I'm moving you up."

"...h-huh?"

"While it's true you're not as brilliant in those aspects as those people you listed, they're flawed in other places. Shirogane-san has poor physical ability, Terasaka-san has poor academics, and Kobayashi-san has poor judgment. You, however, are a very solid jack of all trades. That's the type of people who make up C Class, the middle of the pack. They're good allrounders, but they're not amazing enough to break into the upper classes - yet."