- Part 5

I kept my focus on the middle floor since we knew there were D Class enemies there already. There was a chance they were moving around like us, but it was unlikely. After all, if their strategy was an aggressive blitz, the best way to execute it would be to position everyone at the entrance to ambush E Class right off the bat, but they didn't. That's why it was most likely they were going the defensive route as they were nowhere to be found.

There were various reasons to justify this strategy, mainly our difference in numbers and closeness in skill level. From Zyriot and Mitsuba's fight alone, D Class must've realised that our skill levels weren't all that different. After all, Mitsuba could've easily killed Zyriot, but Zyriot barely lived and made a huge comeback. If Zyriot, their best player, struggled against one of our lower ranked players, then it was likely the rest of D Class was weak enough for the rest of the Takanori group to wipe out with ease.

This is why I always assume I'm on the back end for every situation. If I overestimate my opponent, then I'll work a million times harder to find a way to defeat them.

"Akihiro-san."

I opened a private communication line to Akihiro. He was walking together with his platoon. He was at the back, while Akari was at the front, and Kawaguchi and Tadokoro were sandwiched between them, making up their flanks.

"Yeah?"

"I've got a different task for you. It would be a waste if you die before fighting Zyriot-san, so what I want you to do is hide in one of the ground floor shops and camp there until someone runs into Zyriot-san and fights him. When that happens, I'll alert you, and you can head to that spot to intercept Zyriot-san when their battle ends."

"Are you sure that's fine? I could be defeating some D Class scrubs instead of waiting around doing nothing. Plus, sacrificing someone sounds kinda... y'know?"

"I'd rather not risk you dying by accident, even if you're confident. Plus, if you were stuck in a fight when Zyriot-san is found, you wouldn't be able to leave to go face him. I'm aware that it doesn't sound great that we're giving D Class a win, but in exchange we'll eliminate the glue that holds their class together. D Class will crumble and we'll breeze through this war. That pay-off makes it a sacrifice worth doing."

"I guess you're right... any shops you recommend?"

"Just go into the one you're closest by."

Akihiro looked to his right where he saw Cafe Yuzu, a place popular with all the girls and ikemen. Basically, only riajuus infested this place. I visited this cafe once before, but never again after that. This was because a girl from A Class named Megami Mizuki mercilessly picked on me while we were waiting in line, and ever since then, I've been too scared to go back.

"A cafe, huh?"

"Hide in the kitchen. That's the last place someone would search."

"Gotcha. I'll be waiting until then, Commander."

Akihiro ended the line with me and told his platoon what we discussed. When he hid in the cafe, Akari opened a line to me.

"Yuuto, since our group's been reduced to three members, can we split up?"

"That would be dangerous. I'd prefer if you guys stuck together in the case of an ambush."

"Well... yeah, that's true, but..."

"Is there something wrong?"

Akari lowered her voice to a whisper.

"I think... someone's following us."

I checked the camera footage available and couldn't see anyone nearby.

"I'm guessing you want to split up to force that person into the open?"