- Part 5

The pain in my arm got progressively worse throughout lessons. It became tough to even write. Thankfully, it was now lunch time, so I got to have a break.

Since we were a day away from the war, half the group left to eat lunch, while the other half decided to stay and continue practicing. Naturally, I stayed in the classroom to practice against Akihiro. Yukina was with us too, since she could eat her bento in class.

Meanwhile, Nora was practicing against Kawaguchi, who was perfecting his brand new Gold Paladin deck via testing. Everyone else had basically gone to eat.

Just as I was shuffling my deck, a sharp pain entered my arm again. I dropped the cards by accident because of it and held my right arm tightly with a hiss.

"Yuu! Are you okay?!"

The first to respond was Yukina, who gently placed her hands onto my painful arm.

"Yeah... I'll be fine."

Just as I said that, my arm got that same sharp pain again. It radiated in one area, concentrated. At least it wasn't spreading out to the rest of my body.

"You don't look fine... it looks like it hurts a lot."

"No, really, it's nothing. I can continue..."

As I reached out to pick up my deck, the pain split through my muscles, causing me to gasp and cover my mouth to stop me from yelling in pain.

"Woah, woah, don't push yourself bro. What did ya do to your arm?"

Even Akihiro was growing concerned for me.

"I don't know... it just started during break time randomly..."

"You've sat through two lessons with that pain?!"

Yukina, who was now alarmed by the severity and length of my pain, rolled up my sleeve to check my arm for any bruises or swelling. However, when she looked, she found nothing of the sort.

"I can tough it out for the rest of the day. There's no reason to make it such a big deal..."

As I tried moving my arm, the pain returned. I didn't want to let my own fears consume me, but even I was getting worried at my worsening condition. I was a completely normal and healthy teenage boy with no medical conditions. What could even cause this pain?

"Your face says differently... look at how hard you're gritting your teeth..."

Yukina pointed out my clenched jaw. I didn't even realise I was gritting my teeth so hard. I relaxed my mouth, stopping that.

"You should visit the infirmary. Come on."

Yukina encouraged me to go visit the school doctor, but I refused.

"No, my arm can come later. Practicing with Akihiro-san for the war comes first. We need to use this spare time to help him prepare."

"All this preparation is pointless if you can't even move your arm without it hurting! How will you play Vanguard if it hurts to move it?"

"I'll just play with my left hand."

"How will you shuffle?"

"I'll get someone else to do it."

"Then how about writing? You're right-handed."

"I'll ask someone else for their notes."

"Yuu... stop being so stubborn! Let's get it checked out before it gets worse."

"It'll probably go away in a few days... there's no point."

"There is!"

"There isn't."