- Part 7

My attempts at talking to Yukina after what happened during lunch time were unsuccessful.

She told me that she didn't want to talk to me about it, so I respected her wishes and backed off. I wanted to support her, but I guess I'd be the worst choice, as I was part of the reason why she became upset.

After school, Nora ran up to me excitedly just as I was about to leave class.

"T-Takanori-kun, do you want to play more Vanguard today?"

"Sure. Let me talk to the other guys about it real quick. Katsumi-san, Akihiro-san, do you two have a moment?"

I looked at Katsumi and Akihiro, who were both preparing to go to their clubs. I called for them, and they came over slowly. Reading the room, Yukina also quietly joined the group.

Thankfully, both Katsumi and Akihiro seemed to look better after what happened during break today. Katsumi had regained her usual energetic step, while Akihiro didn't look like a zombie anymore.

"Are you guys okay with meeting up again for training after club activities are finished?"

As I asked that, Akihiro bitterly lowered his head. He must still be hung-up over his deck being destroyed by Kasai.

"Sorry. I can't come."

"It's alright, I understand. Go enjoy yourself at football club."

I wanted Akihiro to take his mind off it and get back on his feet. If he continued feeling down about it, it'd be a huge blow to our class, as he was the person best suited to becoming E Class's trump card in this war.

"...yeah, I'll blow some steam there, or something. I better get going now... last time I was late, Yahagi-san chewed me out for it."

With a defeated mutter, Akihiro slipped out of class quietly. Everyone could see how thoroughly his spirit had been crushed by the loss of his deck.

Nora's eyebrows furrowed as he watched him walk away. He must have been feeling guilty over it, as Akihiro had to sacrifice his own deck to save Hengist from Ukishima.

It wouldn't be the first time Nora felt this way towards Akihiro though. Back when Adachi and his friends attacked us, he felt guilty for getting Akihiro into trouble, as Akihiro stood up for him.

"I-Ishima-san..."

Nora weakly called out, trying to get Akihiro's attention before he disappeared into the hallway. However, it failed.

You could tell their relationship was strained by the way they referred to each other. Akihiro preferred being called by his first name and encouraged everyone to do it, but Nora continued to call him by his last name regardless. It was like they were strangers.

"He'll be alright, Takayuki-kun. Don't look so worried. You're a man, aren't you?"

Katsumi patted Nora's back in encouragement.

"But... the way he's been acting today... it's my fault. I need to make it up to him..."

Those words unintentionally stung me too. Out of the corner of my eye, I looked at Yukina. She was facing the group half-heartedly.

"You can do that later. Right now, we should make plans to train, right, Takanori-san?"

Noticing my strange behaviour, Katsumi steered the conversation back to it's intended destination for me.

"...oh, yeah. I'm assuming the rest of you are okay with training after club activities then?"

The three of them nodded.