A new belonging

It was well past any reasonable hour to be soberly conscious and Athena had just about gotten semi-comfortable in the stiff hotel bed, closing her eyes properly for the first time in what felt like months when she heard a surprisingly gentle knocking at her room door.

"Does a girl have to put herself in a coma to get some rest around here-" she grumbled like an old man disturbed reading his paper, opening one eye to peak at the door that felt suddenly not just like a mild nuisance to her eye bags.

She sat up slowly, looking at the door as the knocking continued, a prickle of fear down the back of her neck.

Now usually if someone was knocking on her door in the middle of the night, Athena would either A; welcome them in to her bed, or B; throw a knife through the door at them.

But it was different now, she had to be more cautious now.

Hotch, who shared her caution ten times over, had made her move hotel rooms every night because of the calls from her father, making sure that every time Hotch or a team member needed her they would call the hotel room first to let her know it was them- but tonight Athena hadn't had any calls, nor had she unplugged the phone like she was told of the day before for doing, yet still; the knocking on the door continued. 

Her hand slid at a snails pace under her mattress, breath held, body tense, to retrieve the home-made shiv.

Of course she had picked up a fair few skills in prison that she knew would come in handy one day, thinking of all the ways it could be 'handy' now as she made her way towards the door, pausing about a foot away with her back to the side of the wall, preparing herself to attack.

"Wanna hear a knock knock joke?" Her usual humour cracked through, swinging the door open and shoving her 'knife' to the knocker's neck before they could answer, or presumably laugh at, the 'joke.'

"P-please don't kill me!" The voice squeaked whilst Athena's eyes adjusted to the light contrasting her blacked out room, letting out a frustrated and confused breath of relief when she saw who was getting the closest shave of their life at the end of her blade. 

"Spencer? What the fuck man!? I could have killed you!"

"T-thanks for not, uh, doing that" Reid rubbed his neck once the spoon-turned-surprisingly-sharp-knife was lowered with shared relief knowing that Athena was the type to stab first and ask questions later,

"What do you want? It's 1 in the morning dude, the only reason people knock on my door this late is- Wait, this isn't a booty call is it? Don't get me wrong, I'm down for it, I'm just like on the verge of collapsing so I won't be very enthusiastic" she half teased through a yawn, enjoying Reid's red face, shifting as realised Athena was just in her underwear and oversized button down only buttoned up on the middle.

"Hello?" She waved a hand in his face, pausing before looking down and rolling her eyes at his discomfort but covering herself up more with the shirt as she turned back to her room, "seriously, what the fuck do you want man? I'm in nap mode." 

"I...I... I'm sorry to intrude so late but... but I need to know about your father" he blurted out, feeling the knife pressing against his neck again before he had time to realise Athena had even turned back around. 

"I-I know, I know that you said you didn't want to talk about him!" 

"Then why are you asking about him? I will stab you."

"A-and I believe you would!" Reid stepped back, swallowing hard, "but I need to know; I've tried researching, I even got Garcia to search the internet but there's nothing- we can't find anything on you let alone him- it's driving me insane!"