Plane resentment (1)

"So you're technically a CIA agent then?" Morgan asked, trying to wrap his head around the confusing information Athena had just given him as they drove to work.

"No- like I said," she rolled her eyes "I'm just like a throw away consultant if they need me, I get a cool badge and some much needed healthcare but I'm not an agent since I don't get paid and don't do the job until like a disaster happens."

"That sounds like an agent to me still- are you sure you want to do this?" He asked.

"I don't really have a choice- I signed the contract already" she shrugged "I mean it's completely void and I have a loop hole I can use if they actually call me in but it's just a sneaky way to get JJ her time off. Honestly a nice vacation for us all from the drama that would have ensued if her, Emily and Reid were in a room together."

"I can barely handle the tension between Reid and Emily as it is" Morgan chuckled.

It had been bad at work with them two. Emily still wouldn't talk to him and it was obviously getting to Reid. Hotch was still making Morgan look for a new temporary replacement but a lot of agents didn't want to just work for the BAU for a few weeks and were relucent to do the interviews which meant that the workload had increased to an incredible amount for the team. After the yacht case a week ago, they had gone straight into another case and were going in on a Saturday to catch up on paperwork before another case on Monday. The long hours and endless working overtime was taking a toll on the team- especially Athena.

She hid it well, but she was exhausted. She barley spoke at work anymore when they weren't on cases, her body was weak from her injuries not having time to recover before being hurt again on various cases.

She was always trying to pretend to be okay and her usual witty self in front of the team but given everything that was happening and the thing she couldn't tell them, she was finding it hard to keep on top of it all.

She was having an internal dilemma that wasn't going away any time soon and was terrifying her, bringing her to tears each night after she was sure Morgan was asleep.

He had finally agreed to sleep in the bed next to her once he was sure that his nightmares had died down a few weeks ago but she still wasn't sleeping properly- she couldn't shut off her brain and what the medic had told her to do, something she still hadn't done because she was too scared of what would happen.

"Hey- "Morgan's voice interrupted her zoning out

"I said we're here" he smiled with concern at her. She snapped herself back to reality and smiled before getting out of the car and following him up the steps.

"How's the concussion?" He asked her as a way to try and get her to tell him what she was really hiding, she wouldn't budge.

"Good- you surprisingly can't feel much of a concussion when your body is in constant pain from a tumour" she chuckled, he did not. He just took her hand in his and rubbed her thumb gently with his.

"We should talk to your doctor about that pain medication, he said it has morphine in it but-" Morgan said

"No morphine" she found herself impulsively saying before trying to think of a lie

"Uh, I just mean- I get a rash from morphine so I don't really want to be blown up like a rashy balloon, it's not very hot to look at" she added with a chuckle, he paused at her before nodding and leading her into the BAU.

"I'm just going to pee- can you grab my file for me?" She asked him

"Sure thing shorty" he smiled as she left