The argument

Before Athena had even opened her eyes, she knew something was wrong.

The usual body heat next to her was missing. The usual warm hand on her back, the usual soft breaths on her neck, the usual safe presence- was all missing.

She settled her instinctive panic with a frustrated eye roll as she turned over and confirmed that Morgan was absent from their bed whilst remembering the night before.

"So much for not going to bed angry" she mumbled with a bitter tone to her voice.

Athena and Morgan had gotten into a bad argument the night before, not one of their playful disagreements or compromising banters like usual.

It was a proper argument that left Athena's blood boiling and Morgan downstairs, refusing to 'go to bed angry' as she walked away from him.

The argument started the way most of their disagreements started- with Athena cleaning the blood of herself in the bathroom after coming home from a case, but this time Morgan wasn't there helping her.

Athena finished wiping the blood off her cut forehead and examined her bruised cheek bone in the bathroom mirror- it was a bad one. She had taken quite the beating on this last case, something that wasn't unusual to Athena, nor was the spontaneous plan she had ignited that had gotten her the beating and a gun held to her head in the first place.

She sighed and finished washing the blood out of her hair and heard banging in the kitchen, she rolled her eyes and stood up from the sink.

"Are you done with your strop and ready to talk to me yet or do you want to continue beating up our kitchen?" Athena said mockingly as she made her way into the kitchen, crossing her arms and leaning on the doorway to look at Morgan who had his back to her.

He ignored her and continued banging the bread from the freezer on the side to defrost it.

"Oh wow, the silent treatment? Real mature" she rolled her eyes.

He hadn't talked to her the whole way back home. He would usually sit with her and talk about it, help her clean her cuts and make sure she was okay but he just drove in silence and ignored her. She knew he was angry at her, she was angry at him too. She was angry, tired, hungry, feeling sick, pissed off at everything and him ignoring her was pushing her anger over the edge.

"For fuck sakes Morgan, leave the fucking bread alone" she walked over and grabbed it out of his hands, he stared down at her with a quiet rage before turning and walking out of the kitchen to the lounge- that pissed her off even more.

"Don't fucking walk away from me when I'm talking to you man" she walked after him, half-defrosted bread still in hand.

"I don't want to argue with you" he said coldly as he turned on the TV, she grabbed the remote and turned it off.

"Well I do" she said angrily. He turned to her, his face matching hers.

"You do?"

"Yes I fucking do- I'm pissed off and you're being an absolute dick!"

"You're mad at me?!" He found himself yelling through a mocking laugh.

"Why are you saying it like that? I have a right to be mad at you!"

"Oh you do?! You think that you get to argue with me now?" He said in a sarcastic tone that made her mad

"Don't you fucking mock me! You've ignored me the entire evening, banging about down here like a fucking stroppy child as I was the blood out of my hair and try to stop my throbbing head- I have a right to argue with you!"