The bleak past and bright future

"So, Mrs Athena Morgan-" Morgan teased her as they walked up to their porch back from Rossi's dinner party, she laughed.

"So I'm taking your last name then, am I?" She raised an eyebrow.

"Well you technically don't have a name so it only seems fair" he joked, "I also think it's only fair that I get to be, Mr Derek Morgan Adams."

She paused and smiled up at him.

"You don't have to do that dude, I know I joked before but I don't mind taking your last name- I still will be using it as your first name though" she chuckled.

"Of course" he laughed, "I don't think we have to take each other's last name. I know how this is all a big step for you and I don't want you feeling any pressure to follow 'traditions' or anything like that because of anything the group said. All that matters is how we feel and I'm so incredibly happy. The proposal and 'wedding' was perfect and I wouldn't have it any other way. Do you know why it was perfect? Because it was you" he smiled sweetly at her before turning and twisting the keys in the doors.

When he turned back, Athena had tears in her eyes.

"Are you o-" he went to ask but she had pulled him into a desperate kiss that was full of love and thanks that she couldn't express. She couldn't express how much his words meant to her, how much she needed to hear that, how much it solidified just how right she was to marry him, just how different this was going to be, just how happy she was with him.

His hands wrapped around her waist with surprise as they fell into the house, the kiss evolving the further they walked up the stairs.

Athena had started unbuttoning his top, still in the kiss, halfway up the 2nd set of stairs and almost into their bedroom when she felt an eery feeling and paused with a realisation.

Something was wrong.

"Are you ok-" he went to ask but she placed a hand over his mouth with a panicked look.

"The kitchen light was on" she mouthed; her eyes glued to the stairs.

"What do you mean?" He tried to ask but her hand was over his mouth and she shushed him again, trying to listen.

"Something is wrong, I keep the kitchen light off when we leave the house so moths don't find their way in, you know I hate moths" she whispered. He went to dismiss her worries but paused when he heard a noise downstairs.

"Stay here" he whispered to her and went to walk down the stairs but she grabbed his hand.

"Fuck you- I'm not letting you go down there alone."

"Athena, let someone else be the brave one- it's probably nothing" he spoke in a half hushed tone and rolled his eyes, stepping in front of her.

"Stay here."

He continued down the stairs as she reluctantly waited.

She stood for a few moments as panic flooded her body, she couldn't just wait here, something was wrong, she couldn't let him go down there on his own.

"Fuck it" she mumbled to herself, moved a plant pot at grabbed a small box cutter she had hidden. That was the perk of spending years as a criminal on the run, she had learnt to hide weapons everywhere in plain sight- Morgan didn't appreciate finding knives hidden in their cereal boxes or pistols in their washing basket quite as much.

She walked down the stairs to the middle hallway and paused when she saw Morgan in front of her, staring at the closed nursery room door which he could have sworn he had left open before he left.