Honesty

//TW: I've been forgetting to add them sorry but big trigger warning for mentions of miscarriages  and depression// 

The team hadn't heard from Athena in a week.

She had told Morgan and the team that it was to recover from the injuries from the professor, but it was really so she could go through the rest of the forced miscarriage, alone.

Despite them not believing that someone like Athena, who was known to go on a mission even hours after intense injuries, would take a week off from work; the team let her- not knowing that she spent the whole week locked inside her apartment, mostly on the bathroom floor as she bled and threw up more than she ever had in her life.

Her phone remained on mute the entire time, ignoring the knocks on her door throughout the week where she barely had enough energy to move from the bed to the kitchen let alone be able to handle seeing people- least of all Morgan, who naturally wouldn't stop trying to talk to her and checking if she was okay the more she didn't want him to.

It was the day before she was meant to be back in work when she heard a familiar knock at her door again whilst being was led on her cold kitchen floor with bags of now defrosted frozen peas on her shoulder and head as well as a hot water bottle on her stomach that had long lost its heat.

Her bandages stuck to her cuts on her back, unable to change them as much as she should have (or at all) or even move her shoulder, so she had settled for numbing the pain of them with cold bags of veg until she had the energy to sort herself out, which didn't seem like it was happening any time soon. 

The doctor said it would get worse before it got better. but it sure felt like it was just continued getting worse and worse.

The knocking continued too whilst she attempted to cover her ears as the noise that did nothing to help her throbbing head.

"Jesus Christ please just fucking stop knocking!" She attempted to mumble, the frustrated words coming out louder than she intended.

"Athena?" A familiar voice called back.

"Fuck."

"Athena, I know that you're in there- come on, open the door for me" Morgan begged.

"I'm, uh, not here" she called out before realising how dumb of a reply that was, "I mean... I'm a ghost?"

"Athena, please- please let me in, I'm really worried about you" his lack of quip or teasing at her reply was enough to make her close her eyes at his worry in his voice, his genuine care that made everything hurt more when she thought about it, "Athena please.-

"I'm fine, there ya go-" she winced in pain, "-you can go now."

"Can you at least tell me what I did wrong?" 

"What?"

"I've obviously upset you; you won't return my calls, I've knocked here every day and  you won't even speak to me- after the hospital you couldn't look me in the eye-" he let out a sigh, leaning on the door, "-I'm really sorry for whatever I did but could you please just tell me what it is so I can apologise properly? I don't want to be the reason you're in here all alone Athena, just let me apologise- please?"

Athena tried not to let out a cry as she squeaked out a reply, "y-you didn't do anything Derek, you didn't do anything wrong."

"Then what happened? Just talk to me- let me see you- let me help you."

"I can't, I can't look at you or I'll fucking cry dude."

Morgan paused before nodding and stood up from the door with an idea, "then we can both close our eyes, that worked last time, right?"