A new kind of beginning (2)

"Hey Hotch, I'm going to be late today- let me know if we have a case and I'll meet you at the jet" Morgan left a voicemail for Hotch as he continued to stare at Athena's note on the kitchen side with a feeling on concern in his stomach that he couldn't explain.

He felt his leg shaking as he lent on the counter and stared at the front door waiting for it to open as thoughts raced around his mind.

Why did she leave her phone? Where did she go? Why didn't she take the car? Why didn't she tell him she was going out and wrote a note instead?

He heard a car door close outside a while later after trying to decide what to do for a while. He jumped up and ran to the door, opening it quickly just as the nob turned.

"Holy shit dude- you spooked me" Athena jumped.

"There you are" he said with relief in his voice that had been absent since finding the note and her phone on the counter,

"Here I am" she smiled, "and here you are- wait why aren't you at work?"

"I wanted to make sure you were okay, you left your phone and I got scared that something could have happened" as he explained he could hear how insane it sounded and judging by Athena's raised eyebrow she thought it too.

"Okay weirdo, it's like you're obsessed with me or something" she chuckled and walked past him into the house, he paused seeing her outfit.

"You look beautiful" he smiled at her ensemble. She was wearing a black, v neck midi silk dress on top of a white short sleeved turtleneck with her usual emerald necklace he had gotten her placed on top of it, she wore it as a sort of marriage ring replacement- her old excuse being that she used to get far too much blood on her hands at work for a ring but now she had just grown an attachment to her necklace he had given her. Her hair was pulled back into a curly low pony tail with framing pieces pulled out the front and tucked behind her ears where small dangly hoops hung. It was more of a smart, formal kind of business outfit than he normally saw her in- especially since she had been fired, she usually just wore sweatpants and pyjamas now, he still thought she looked beautiful in those and she claimed she was going to make it her mission to wear the grossest pyjamas she could find one day but even that wasn't enough to put him off.

"Thanks man, I really underestimated how much fabric the bump needs with this one" she chuckled and placed the grocery bags on the counter top and grabbed her tote bag that seemed to be full of paper and files.

"What have you been up to?" He asked curiously.

"Just went to the shops" she smiled and made her way up the stairs to her studio where she started filing the paper into various folders under her desk.

"What's all that?" Morgan asked, leaning on the door frame and knowing she was hiding something.

"Paper" she relied simply, he rolled his eyes and walked in.

"And what is on the paper?"

"Words" she replied with a mocking smile that made him chuckle.

"What secrets are you hiding Ms Adams?"

"Plenty, you're going to have to be more specific with your interrogation questions Mr Morgan" she locked the draw she had just put the files away in and stood up.

"Okay seriously now, what's in the files?" Morgan asked casually.

"Oooo serious Morgan, I'm so scared" she mocked with a chuckle before answering, "it's just some old paperwork from one of my warehouses I'm clearing out."