The start of a heartbreak

Athena heard heart wrenching screams as the bullet entered the chest. It took her a second to realise they were her screams after realising it wasn't her chest it entered- it was his.

"No!" She heard her voice scream as Morgan threw himself in front of the bullet, his body slumping to the ground at its impact.

"Derek! No!" Athena cried, throwing her body by his, grabbing him and trying to pull him to her. Blood was pouring from his chest as he looked up at her.

"I-I told you I wouldn't let you go, I keep my promises" he tried to joked.

"You're a fucking idiot!" She screamed and pulled him closer to her with tears streaming down her face. She let go of all the walls she had built up to hide her feelings for him, they had been torn down and all she wanted to do was hold him, to save him. She knew she could live without him knowing he was out there, but she couldn't live knowing he wasn't alive, knowing he had died taking a bullet for her.

"Call an ambulance!" She yelled at the team with fury in her eyes as they stared in shock, JJ was frozen.

"Derek, please- please you god damn fucking idiot- please don't leave me" Athena held his face against her body, trying to put pressure on the wound.

"Athena, I'm so sorry- I'm so sorry for everything, I'm so sorry" he said, taking her blood covered hand from his wound and just wanted to hold it.

"Stop it! Stop! You don't get to do this- you don't get to die, I can't- I can't be mad at you if you're dead" she pulled her arm back to the wound which was gushing blood, he moved his hand to her tear soaked face and held her cheeks.

"Why do you want me to live? I know how much I hurt you Athena, you should want me dead" he said through coughs.

"Because I fucking love you!" She found herself yelling, he paused at her words- as did she. She didn't mean to let it them out, she had torn down all her walls and there was no way she could put them back up until he was okay which meant all her feelings she had hidden came pouring out.

"You don't have to say that just because I'm-" Morgan went to say as his vision started to blur.

"Just shut up and let me be nice to you for once!" She yelled at him again, choking on her words which were now bubbling up.

"I've made so many bad decisions in my life Derek- loving you was the one good decision I have ever made and it still fucking hurts. You were the only fucking good thing to happen to me, even when I was trying to kill you- I just wanted you. You are everything that I need, everything that I want and it's fucking unfair for you to leave me! I'm the one who leaves you! You can't- you can't force me to live and then you die! You don't get to die! You can't leave me!" She screamed at him, hearing a siren outside the hotel.

He smiled through tears, his eyes slowly closing.

"No! Stop it! Hold on!" She shook him "you can't make me expose my feelings like that and then die! That's so fucked up!"

She felt his hand take hers again, and then in a heart breaking moment- she felt three weak squeezes. The same squeezes she used to give his hand when she couldn't say the words out loud.

"No! Derek please!" She cried and tried to pull his body up to her in desperation, he was heavier than her strength but she tried so hard.

The paramedics ran in and took him from her after Hotch pulled her off him, they took him away in the ambulance. A sight Athena had seen before and never wished to see again. She sat sobbing on the floor of the restaurant bar. The team stood staring at her, they had done this. They had made this horrible scene happen.