TWENTY-FIVE

✿ TWENTY-FIVE ✿

"And every time, every time you go

It's like a knife that cuts right through my soul"

___

She watched Octavia from her place next to Miller near the campfire. Ever since she and Bellamy had come back, she'd been standing there, staring in the black abyss of the forest. Even Panther didn't have the usual effect on her. She knew it was because of the Grounder, just like she knew Octavia had helped him escape Camp, though she would probably never admit it out loud. At least that was something Octavia and Miller had in common at this very moment, their grumpiness. 

She turned to her best friend and gave him a little nudge. "Cheer up," she said, smiling.

"Why?" he asked her in return. He didn't even want to look her in the eyes, instead stuffing his face in some overcooked chicken leg.

"Because I say so," she said as her eyes watched Bellamy cross Camp with Clarke. They disappeared into the communication tent, causing the corners of her mouth to curl themselves into a small smile. She wanted to be there for him, but she knew very well that Clarke was better able to convince the Chancellor of pardoning Bellamy. 

"I see, I see, you're already using your position as the Chosen One to force your opinion on your peasants," Nate said. This time he did look at her, a little smirk covering his face and his eyes twinkling with obvious joy. 

"Nate!" she exclaimed, giving the boy next to her a harsh shove. She'd forgotten all about the cave since they'd shown it to Octavia over a week ago. She still wasn't sure what it was all supposed to mean, let alone what if the drawings really were about her. Though she guessed there weren't that many girls with wicked blue eyes and a panther, you never knew with Earth and all the mysteries it protected. "I'm not a 'Chosen One' and I don't have peasants."

"But you sure do act like it," he said, grinning again. 

She shook her head in disbelief and let out a little huff. At least he wasn't moping about the Grounder, which she counted as a personal little victory. Her eyes were fixated on the communication tent, wondering what the Chancellor would do. She was positive Clarke would find a way to protect Bellamy, because even if she didn't like him, she did need him, but still she felt nervous. 

This time it was Nate who nudged her, causing her to look up at him in question. "What are you worried about?"

She didn't want to tell Nate she was worried for Bellamy, because without a single doubt he would twist her words in such a way that it would look as if she had a crush on the man, so she shrugged and made up something that wasn't really a lie either. "My mom is supposed to come down on the first ship. I just hope they make a safer landing than we did."

Her friend curled his arm around her shoulders, pulling her close to his body. Feeling tired, both from the whole Dax situation and the trek in general, she leaned into his embrace. She lied her head on his shoulder, closed her eyes and enjoyed the sweet warmth of the flames. 

"It will be fine, Katherine," he said, giving her shoulder a little squeeze. 

She nodded, lost in thought till she heard the flap of a particular tent move. Immediately, her eyes shot open, trying to pick Bellamy out of the crowd surrounding here. It wasn't hard, since he stood out the way he always appeared to. She tried to read his body language, to see if his shoulders were hanging, if there was a pout on his lips, but he was never one for giving up his facade in public and so she was left clueless.