TEN

✿ TEN ✿

"If I could make a thousand tries

Maybe then I'd get it right"

___

Katherine didn't want to wake up. Not when she felt a pair of hands gently shove her arm and not when she heard Bellamy's voice quite close to her ear. She even felt his breath tickle her neck, causing a shiver to travel down her spine. 

"She isn't dead, is she?" Katherine heard Charlotte's voice from somewhere far away. She sounded worried and even though Katherine wanted to soothe her, she preferred to keep on snoozing. For the past couple of days, she had slept a lot, almost three days in a row at some point, but sleeping and actually resting were two different things. 

 "No, she's just pretending to be," Bellamy grumbled. He looked at Katherine, not perfunctory as he had for the past couple of days, but he searching for details. He smiled as he realised she had some freckles as well, though they were barely visible, and a slightly upturned nose. Now that she didn't wear that seemingly permanent scowl, he came to realise she was actually really pretty. 

"Is she a nymph?" Charlotte asked, effectively getting Bellamy out of his thoughts. 

He looked at her, chuckling softly. "Why would you ask that?"

"Well, she told me nymphs are supposed to be really pretty, and she is," Charlotte argued. She seemed to be thinking, as her hands continued to push Katherine gingerly. "She could be a nature nymph, or one of the plants. She does know everything about plants."

"I suppose that's true," Bellamy replied. He didn't want to ruin Charlotte's childlike vision on myths and legends. He knew they had offered him an escape out of his daily grind when he was younger. It had only been a couple of years later that the realisation that most of the stories couldn't be possible true hit him, and he had lost a small piece of his childhood. "You would have to ask her, though, she might just tell you."

"I'm not a nymph," Katherine grunted, finally starting to wake. She rolled stiffly on her back and from the corner of her eyes, she noticed Bellamy quickly moving away from her like she carried some deadly disease with her. She resisted the urge to roll her eyes. It wasn't as if she was going to have a mental breakdown when he was just sitting close to her. 

"Took you long enough, the rest has probably left us for death," Bellamy retorted, not sounding any more degrading than usual. He quickly put his knives in his belt and Katherine saw that Charlotte was ready to leave as well. 

Realising they had been waiting for her to rise, she hurriedly scrambled to her feet. Too quickly, because before she knew it she was swaying like a drunk, the world spinning around her in a funny way. She felt Bellamy's strong hands, one on her back and the other on her shoulder, forcing her to sit down again. His hands quickly left her skin again, and she ignored the warmth that was spreading through her body. 

"You of all people should know a thing or two about blood pressure," Bellamy joked, though she noticed his eyes move nervously around the place like he had done something wrong. "Just pack your things and we will get on our way."

"Alright," she muttered. She checked if everything was still in her backpack, wondering at the same time if it had been a mistake to tell Bellamy. She hadn't accounted for the possibility of him actually changing his behaviour around her. She hadn't even known if he would care for her story at all. She questioned if he had chosen to be a little more subtle towards her, or that it had happened subconsciously out of pity.