NINETEEN

✿ NINETEEN ✿

"Lost my heart

And lost my soul."

___

As Katherine ran, she barely noticed the pain in her leg. The wound had been healing well and only when she was making weird movements, she felt it. She remembered that sooner or later Clarke had to get the stitches out, preferably before her skin started to attach to the metal wire. 

"Holy shit, Katherine, how can you run so fast?" Nate said from behind her, clearly out of breath. "And why is Panther going so far? Couldn't he find a bunny closer to here?"

"I don't think he's chasing a bunny," Katherine said, as she looked over her shoulder to her new friend. She had a smile on her face, one that couldn't be found on Nate's. That didn't stop her from feeling what she felt, though. For just a moment she could forget death. "I think he's leading us somewhere."

Katherine bit her lip as she noticed that the tip of Panther's tail had disappeared. So far, it had been the only way she had managed to follow the majestic animal. At first, she was able to keep up with Panther, looking in awe at the way his muscles rippled under his skin, the look of concentration in his beautiful eyes. It hadn't taken long, though, before Panther showed them who really belonged in the woods.

"Dammit," Katherine muttered under her breath as she slowed to a halt. She turned a little circle around her own axis, at first looking for Panther, but then looking at the unfamiliar clearing the animal had directed them to. It seemed as if Earth looked a little more magnificent in this place. 

Butterflies were surrounding them from all sides, the flowers seemed more radiant and the trees looked higher and older than ever. Katherine let out a soft sigh as she saw a squirrel hurrying up a tree, it's bushy tail making funny movements. She also saw Panther, jumping up the tree after the squirrel, but he was too slow, and Katherine chuckled softly. She could hear birds chirping their best songs and smelled so many sweet scents from the plants. She knelt down to pick a flower and closed her eyes as she brought it up to her nose. It felt like home, like peace. 

"What are you doing, Katherine?" she heard Nate yell out. She felt him smack the flower out of her hand and in distress, she opened her eyes. She blinked twice, a feeling of horror engulfing her. The whole scenery appeared to have changed from heaven to hell. 

What she had thought to be a flower had been a part of a skull, now rolling away due to Nate's force. With a little scream, she scrambled backwards. The butterflies had disappeared and everything around her seemed to have been kissed by death. Bones, human ones, were scattered all over the clearing. The trees were a strange grey colour and instead of flowers, the field was filled with dead, dried leaves. Panther was nowhere in sight. 

"What happened?" Katherine asked out of breath. She grabbed Nate's outstretched hand and let him pull her to her feet. She felt like she was hurt in an odd way, as if it had been her home that had been kissed by death. As she looked down at her hands, she noticed that they were trembling. "I don't understand."

"Someone must have torched this place a long time ago," Nate said. His eyes were flicking nervously from the bones to the burnt trees. "We should find Panther and leave, I don't like this place."

"It was so beautiful," Katherine whispered softly, still not understanding what had happened. She shook her head, closed her eyes, took a deep breath and hoped that when she would open her eyes, the place would be as beautiful as it had been before. It wasn't, though.