SIX

✿ SIX ✿

"Why do these eyes of mine cry?

Don't they know it's the end of the world?"

___

They had been walking only for a couple of minutes, but a nasty gut feeling was already engulfing Katherine. She knew why Monty had to stay behind, but it felt wrong to be surrounded by people she hardly knew or trusted. Wells, she had spent the day with, but now his priorities lied elsewhere. The fact that Bellamy and Frog-Face were walking behind them also didn't do much to comfort Katherine.

Sure enough, Bellamy soon took out his gun and started waving with it like nobody's business. Katherine cringed away, knowing exactly what damage those things and other weapons could do, and she couldn't help but wonder if Bellamy just happened to pull the trigger while the gun was wielded her way, he could pass it off as an accident.

"What's the rush?" he asked theatrically, showing off the gun even more. "You don't survive a spear to the heart."

"Put the gun away, Bellamy," Wells warned, taking a step forward only to be pushed back aggressively by Murphy.

"Well, why don't you do something about it, huh?" Murphy threatened, forcing Wells to step back.

Katherine rolled her eyes, someone was dying and all Murphy could do was pick a fight. "Ever the loyal lapdog, Frog-Face, are you not?"

"You shut up, wicked witch," Murphy snapped back, giving the girl a hateful stare.

"Jasper screamed when they moved him," Clarke said, staring at Bellamy as if she couldn't believe him. Katherine knew for sure she couldn't believe both Bellamy and Murphy any time any word left their mouths. Just watching them breathe had her on the edge. "If the spear struck his heart, he'd have died instantly. It doesn't mean we have time to waste."

Just as Clarke wanted to turn around to walk further, Bellamy grabbed for her wrist, forcing her to turn back around. He looked at her like she was some sort of prey, grinning like a maniac. "As soon as you take this wristband off, we can go."

Katherine resisted the urge to kick her heel in the dirt and to let out a loud groan. They were wasting time, precious time, in which she could save her best friend's friend. It made her jumpy, because she knew they had a long way to go and with each passing second Jasper, who was balancing on the edge of death, was coming closer and closer to the downfall.

Roughly, Clarke pulled her wrist back. She looked at Bellamy intensively, as if she dared him to look away. "The only way the Ark is gonna think I'm dead is if I'm dead. Got it?"

"Brave princess," Bellamy mocked her, rocking from one foot to the other.

"Hey, why don't you find your own nickname?" someone interrupted their petty discussion. Katherine looked up, only to see Finn walking briskly past Bellamy to join Clarke's side. She had learned via Monty that he was a tracker. "You call this a rescue party? Got to split up, cover more ground. Clarke, come with me."

"Great," Katherine muttered, realising that after Clarke had taken off with Finn, she was left with the dumb people. She didn't think she had many brain cells left before she really started to become dysfunctional. It amazed her that she still had enough functioning cells left to be able to breathe.

"Don't sulk like that, witch," Murphy laughed, joining her by her side. He even had the guts to bump her with his shoulder. Involuntarily she cringed away. "Don't you just love our companionship?"