SIXTEEN

✿ SIXTEEN ✿

"I can't understand, no I can't understand

How life goes on the way it does."

___

Katherine and Bellamy had been walking for hours through the woods, mostly in a nerve-wracking silence. Before she left, Katherine had at least told Nate and Octavia, so that they could take care of Panther, which the latter certainly didn't seem to mind. 

"Can I ask you something?" Katherine asked softly, as they were making their way over some small hill. It was already getting dark, and her leg hurt more than she would have liked. The fact that she completely relied on Bellamy's navigation skills also bothered her. "You know too much about me and I too little about you."

"Well, that's fair enough," Bellamy replied with a low chuckle. "Ask away."

"How did you manage to come down?" Katherine asked curiously. She stepped over a little twig, then bent down as she recognized it for some medicinal root. Without noticing Bellamy's impatient stance or his quietness, she stood up again and looked the man in his dark eyes. Eyes she could swim in for days. "What, too personal?"

She could make out Bellamy rolling his eyes and shaking his head before he walked further in front of her. Katherine let out a loud scoff and grabbed the guy by his jacket. Immediately, as if he was stung by a bee, he turned around and glared down harshly onto Katherine, giving her chills. "Alright then."

This time Katherine didn't make a move for Bellamy as he started to walk away again. She followed a couple of seconds later, ignoring the awkward silence that had filled the space between them. At least the woods offered enough sounds and sights to keep Katherine busy, so that she didn't have to frown at Bellamy's back. Not that she didn't do that anyway.

After walking for what felt like hours, but most probably must have been half an hour, Katherine started to worry. She hadn't forgotten about the Grounders and the fact that it was really dark right now didn't help either. Besides, for all she knew they had been walking in circles. At least the temperature wasn't too cold. 

"Shouldn't we have come across Murphy at least once by now, like on coincidence?" Katherine asked the same time as Bellamy said, "I shot Chancellor Jaha."

For just a second Katherine's mind didn't register his words. She kept on walking, bumping straight into Bellamy, who had turned around with a grave expression on his face. It was only then that she actually understood the meaning of his words and her heart skipped a beat. Incomprehensibly, as if he had been speaking a foreign language, she looked up at the man. "You shot the Chancellor?"

"It was the only way to get on the Dropship," Bellamy said defensively. He looked at Katherine as if he was having a battle with himself, wondering it was really wise to tell anybody, but specifically Katherine, his biggest secret. "I had to, for Octavia."

"I don't get it, Bellamy," Katherine mumbled, not really knowing what to think. She didn't feel like she could really blame him, in a sort of way he wanted to save his sister, just like she had wanted to save her mother. Still, she felt bad for the Chancellor, because most of the blame he got he didn't deserve. 

She let her eyes wander from the ground up to Bellamy's face. She didn't care what kind of comment he would make, but she took a second to take in his face. Until a week ago she had spent more than four years in isolation, and yet she had always praised herself for her skill of reading people. When Bellamy was her guard, she couldn't help but wonder if he remembered, he had seemed different from the rest. More innocent.