THIRTY

✿ THIRTY ✿

"Cause only love can hurt like this,

and it must have been the deadly kiss"

___

Two days after the whole influenza incident, Katherine was working in the smokehouse with Octavia, preserving the meat of several animals that had been hunted down, most of them thanks to Panther. Though she absolutely hated the job, especially the parts where she had to hold a knife to skin down the animals, it allowed her some quality time with Octavia and a good excuse to smuggle some extra meat back when Panther couldn't yet hunt for himself.

With a shrugged up nose, she hung a piece of rib on a hook, placing the hook above the fire. From the corner of her eye she observed Octavia, who sliced a part of what once must have been a pig without any difficulty.

"You don't want the fire to big," Octavia said to Del, the other boy who'd been helping them with meat duty, after he'd thrown a whole pile of wood on the already big fire. She looked at him with a fascinating authority. "So maybe just try to knock it down with some wet leaves."

"You got that from your boyfriend, Grounder Pounder?" Del replied, way too much sarcasm in his voice for a boy of his position.

"Excuse you?" Katherine asked. She laid down her knife, turning around with her eyebrows raised high, wondering what the hell this boy was thinking.

"What you're going to do, witch?" Del shot back, obviously still feeling superior. "Snitch me to your boyfriend Bellamy?"

"Shove off," Katherine replied prickly, giving the boy a harsh shove before leaving the meat house. She ignored the way Del called after her, not even bothering to try to decipher his words. She didn't want to admit it, but his words had hit closer to home than she would have liked. After she'd taken care of Bellamy. he'd done nothing but ignore her. Whenever she walked in his direction he would take off in the opposite one and the one time she got to speak to him, he'd brushed her off with a weak excuse. It made her feel frustrated and sad and she couldn't help but wonder if maybe Octavia had been right, that the kiss had been a one time thing, not to be repeated on his part.

"Katherine," she heard some one say, way too close to her for her preference. Not a second later, she felt a hand grab her shoulder, causing a shiver to run down her spine and a queasy feeling to settle in her stomach. She turned around quickly, shrugging the hand of her shoulder in the process.

"Murphy," she said back, looking the boy dead in the eyes. His face was still raw from the beating he'd received, but he'd dried up rather well after her patching up. That didn't give him an excuse to touch her, though.

"I've actually got something for you," the boy said, digging deep into his pockets. After searching for a second or two, he pulled out a couple of vials, a lot of them similar to the vials Lincoln had on him when Bellamy had dragged him into camp. He held his hand out, the vials covering his palm. "I found these on my way out, thought you might figure out what they are and if they're useful."

Not being able to control the childlike enthusiasm she felt whenever she found a possible new medicine, she snatched the vials from Murphy's hand, observing the substances inside of them. One vial contained a purplish and silverish thick liquid, much like mercury, which immediately got her attention.