TWELVE

✿ TWELVE ✿

"I'll use you as a warning sign,

That if you talk enough sense then you'll lose your mind"

___

The next morning, Katherine woke up early. She managed the wriggle herself out of Charlotte's grasp, surprised by the amount of power the little girl seemed to hold. She put on her clothes and boots, grabbed her cane and left the tent on her tippy toes, without waking up Nathan. She still felt tired but was done seeing Atom's foggy eyes every time she closed hers. Even some calming medicine didn't help her, though it turned the pain in a dull ache.

The whole camp still seemed to be asleep as Katherine went to grab some leftover pieces of meat from yesterday in case she got hungry, hiding them in her backpack. Looking up at the slightly reddish sky, Katherine figured that the sun would rise soon and that it wouldn't be long before the camp would come back to life again.

She looked around, to see if she could spot people that were supposed to stand watch, and when she didn't, she opened the gate just wide enough for her to squeeze through. Ever since the discovery of Grounders and the building of the wall, it was forbidden to leave camp after dusk or before dawn. Not that everybody obeyed those rules.

As she walked to her and Wells's stream, she listened to all the animals that were either starting to rise or going to sleep. She heard the complex-sounding love song of a bird and she saw something that appeared to be a squirrel hurrying its way up to a tree when it heard her approach. It caused Katherine the smile and for just a second she forgot about the grave ordeals that seem to come along with Earth.

Now that she didn't have to keep up with a determined Clarke or Bellamy, she wasn't half as out of breath as she usually was, nor did her leg hurt as much. It surprised her how easy she managed to find the stream with its own waterfall and she let out a sigh of relief as she heard the slow-flowing water.

The stream was hidden by a lot of trees and overhanging branches, and because the water didn't appear to be deep enough to hide a monstrous worm-like creature that had bitten Octavia, Katherine quickly got rid of all her clothes except for her black sports bra and shorts. She pulled her hair free from the messy bun she had made of it somewhere in the middle of the night and it came tumbling down in several locks that reached the end of her shorts.

She walked to the edge of the stream and after a moment of hesitation, she stepped into the cool water. A sigh of relief left her mouth, and she quickly went to sit down on the smooth pebbles that covered the bottom of the stream. She hissed in pain as the water touched the stitches that covered her leg. In fascination, she realised the long claw marks had turned into red, still a bit swollen lines. As she gently washed off the blood remains, she wondered how long those stitches would have to sit, and how Clarke would remove them.

After Katherine had tended to her leg, she slowly lowered her head into the streaming water, staring in amazement as her already dark hair turned even darker in the water, forming an enormous halo around her face. Giggling like a child, she moved her hands through her floating her in an attempt to remove the dirt from it.

After trying and probably failing to wash her hair, Katherine closed her eyes, clenched her fists in tension and lowered her head further in the water. As a little girl, Katherine would have the most horrible ear infections and she was convinced it was because her ears would fill themselves with water when she put her head underwater. After that conclusion, bathing time suddenly turned in drama time, with Katherine refusing to lower her head into the water and her mother forcing her to do it away.