NINE

✿ NINE ✿

"Tu as le cœur à rire,

Moi, je l'ai à pleurer."

___

Miraculously and against all the odds, Katherine had managed to rip none of the stitches. Small trickles of blood had managed to find their way through the stitches, but nothing major except for the fact that her recovery would probably last ages due to this. She had cleaned the wounds, all the while ignoring Bellamy like her life depended on it, and put on new bandages. 

When she was finally done, she had gathered enough guts to turn around and look at Bellamy and Charlotte. The young girl was asleep, though she appeared to be a troubled sleeper, and Bellamy was sharpening his knives, not bothering to look at Katherine either. 

"Are you religious?" Bellamy asked all of a sudden. His hushed voice seemed to be cutting through the forced silence that been hanging around too long. 

Realising it might take a while before the fog would clear out, Katherine decided that she would be on her best behaviour. She went to move so that she could look Bellamy in his face. She wondered if Bellamy was genuinely interested, or if he would make a snappy remark. She guessed it was going to be the second one, so she decided to keep it vague. "I'm not sure. Why do you ask?"

 "Because every time I try to touch you, even if it is to save your life, which has happened too many times the last couple of days, you flinch away like I'm the devil," Bellamy scoffed. There it was, the snappy remark Katherine had anticipated. She couldn't help but wonder if he was offended, she betted he didn't get rejected often. Bellamy looked her in the eye. "I bet you would have rather had Charlotte carry you to the cave she would have been able to."

"Yes, probably," Katherine answered truthfully. She gave a shrug as if to ask if it was really that bad. 

Bellamy scoffed, rolling her eyes. He fumbled with the knives in his hands and Katherine had to resist the urge to ask him to stop that. "You know, Katherine," Bellamy said, looking at her as if he suspected anything. "I asked around a bit and the overall conclusion was that you are intelligent and mature, and yet you have the behaviour of an eight-year-old towards guys."

"Yeah, they are gross," Katherine replied, her face scrunched up in disgust. She wondered what Bellamy's problem was, suddenly forgetting all about the promises of good behaviour she had made. "Why would you bother asking around about me? Afraid I'm a threat?" Katherine scoffed, shaking her head in disbelief. She fiddled around with a lavender plant. "I can't even walk properly."

"Well, the funny thing is, nobody seems to know you," Bellamy replied. Suddenly Katherine understood why he looked at her with suspicion, he really thought she might be a threat. She quickly wondered if he was fumbling around with his knives because of nerves, or because he intended to use them.  "They don't know why you got locked up, or how long you've been locked up for."

"Perhaps that's because I've been in isolation for the past four years," Katherine snapped back. She started to have troubles with keeping her voice down. The guy sitting just a couple of feet away from her made her so nervous, with his patronizing behaviour. "I was probably the first of these people to get locked up, so obviously they don't know about me. If it makes you feel any better, I don't know any of them."

"You seem close with Miller," Bellamy retorted.

Katherine looked at him in disbelief. "Nathan's father was my favourite guard."

"Oh, so you had to have a guard stationed at your cell all the time?" Bellamy asked as if that explained everything. 

"Doesn't everybody in solidarity?" Katherine asked genuinely curious. The way Bellamy looked at her said enough, causing Katherine to swallow loudly. The questions asked, Bellamy's behaviour, it pretty much looked like an investigation. She decided he must have really forgotten about the fact that he had stood guard at her cell for more than three months and for some reason that hurt her.