THIRTY-THREE

✿ THIRTY-THREE ✿

"J'ai trouvé l'eau si belle

Que je m'y suis baigné"

___

"Start tying," Murphy commanded, nudging his head towards the red seat belt that lied at Katherine's feet.

Swallowing the lump in her throat, she kneeled down to tie the rope Murphy intended to hang her with. The fabric felt oddly rough in her hands and she wondered how it would feel around her neck. At least it seemed strong enough to hold her weight. A shiver crept down her spine at those macabre thoughts.

Murphy let out an impatient sigh and pointed the gun in her direction as if to say she better hurried up. When she tried to swallow again, her throat felt like sandpaper and a thin layer of cold sweat had settled on her forehead. Her right eye had swollen completely shut due to the hit from the but of the gun and so she was left to the mercy of her left eye to tie the knots.

"Murphy, let Katherine go," Bellamy called out over the walkie-talkie. "I don't even care about the girl."

Katherine let out a soft scoff and rolled with the single eye it was possible. She couldn't help but think that if Bellamy really wanted to switch places he should put in a little more effort. As she looked up, she knew Murphy thought the same, because the teenage boy was smiling in such a sickening way, that she quickly shifted her glance to the two belts she was tying together.

Murphy grabbed the walkie-talkie, pushing in the talk button. "That's why you're still bargaining for her life?"

"She's valuable to the group, not to me personally," Bellamy said. Though she supposed he was only bluffing, she still found the words stinging in her heart. "She thinks we're something because I took her to someplace in the woods once, but truth be told, I couldn't care less whether you string her up or push her over a cliff. I only care for her mind and how well it serves the group."

She ceased her handiwork, looking up at the walkie-talkie with a clear expression of pain on her face. Those words weren't far from the exact words Bellamy had first told her when she'd gotten mauled by the radioactive panther and maybe they weren't far from the truth this time.

"Great, now she's crying," Murphy said through the walkie-talkie.

It was only then that she reached with her fingers to her cheek, which was indeed wet with tears. Instantly, her facial expression hardened and she wiped the tears from her cheeks. She felt awful about the idea of the entire group outside, including Bellamy, hearing about her crying over some simple words from a boy who shouldn't mean so much to her to begin with.

"Fuck you," she muttered to Murphy as she tied the final knot. She looked up at him, feeling her eyes burning with tears again. "What now?"

"Be polite," Murphy said. He gave her a poke with the rifle in her leg, causing her to almost lose her balance. "Or I'll put one in your leg."

She bit the inside of her lip to prevent other nasty words from slipping out. She didn't know if Bellamy had a plan and if not him, someone else, but she knew she had to try something. She didn't want to die quite yet, but her usually with witty plans filled brain was blank right now. The only thing she could come up with was to stall some time.

"Please do," she said. She pointed at the artery on the inside of her thigh, a sarcastic expression on her face. "Aim for this spot and I'll be dead before you can open the door to the Dropship."

"Sounds tempting, but no," he replied. He'd furrowed his brows and his mouth held an ugly grimace. He really looked like a killer, she realised, crazy and to the point of no return. "Now get up and toss it over."