TWENTY-EIGHT

✿ TWENTY-EIGHT✿

"Am I just fooling myself

That she'll stop the pain"

___

Katherine had stayed seated for a little while, at least till her shortness of breath had passed and she was able to stand up straight without feeling like she was going to pass out any given second. She helped Clarke with the sick, offering them water and cleaning the blood from their faces, even though they looked worse. On her watch, another person had died. She hadn't even known the girl's name, but she'd died the same way as Derek, slipping right from under her hands. 

Starting to feel like her throat was closing again, she moved outside the Dropship, watching the way two boys carried the dead girl and lied her next to Derek. She took a big gasp of air, appreciating the way the fresh oxygen seemed to lessen her stuffiness. Trying to filter out Bellamy's and Clarke's conversation about Octavia, her eyes fell onto a girl that fainted right in the hands of the people surrounding her, coughing blood in their faces. At the same time, another boy turned around, his eyes bleeding. 

A scene of chaos developed in front of her. Every person in possession of a gun all of a sudden knew all to well how to point it at his friends, screaming and yelling like madmen. Katherine looked at Clarke, shaking her head with disappointment. Quarantine was their best chance at saving people and so far it wasn't working very well. It left her feeling with dread. 

"Wait," Clarke said softly. Her usual ever so energetic voice, often the cause of much irritation, was now washed-out and barely audible. The girl disappeared into the Dropship, only to come back with a rifle. She held it up in the air and emptied three bullets in the air. She looked at Katherine, as if to ask her if she could do the talking. 

Catching on the hint quickly, she set a calculated step forward, all eyes on her. "Guys, don't you see? We're doing exactly what the Grounders want us to do," she tried to explain calmly, even though she felt like she could strangle the bunch of them at that very moment. Not that she would have the strength for it. "The more we kill each other off, the less the Grounders have to."

"Well, they won't have to kill anybody if we all catch the virus," a boy yelled back. He pointed his gun in her direction, making her feel even more anxious. "So get back in the damn Dropship."

Though she'd been on Earth for a little while now, Katherine still wasn't used to weapons pointed in her direction, whether it was knives or riffles. It made her freeze up like a deer caught in headlights, leaving her at the mercy of the person on the other end of the weapon. Fortunately for her, Bellamy grabbed the gun from the boy, butting the end in his face, which left him staggering behind. 

As if all wasn't bad enough already, Clarke lost her consciousness, or at least enough of it to faint, though not enough to keep her mouth shut. Finn caught her and biting on the inside of her cheek, Katherine looked at Raven, who looked like her heart had just been broken in many and more pieces. She couldn't help but feel for the girl.

"Put me down, right now," Clarke mumbled weakly. She was more or less hanging in Finn's arms, trying and failing to create some distance for his safety. "I'm fine."

Katherine felt like she could fall to the ground any moment as well, in fact, she thought the ground looked somewhat inviting. It was sure a lot colder than her feverish skin. She also knew that it wouldn't be good for the group spirits if both doctors, or well, one and a half doctor, would pass out. It took all of her energy to focus her eyes on Octavia, who had entered camp again.