THIRTY-TWO

✿ THIRTY-TWO ✿

"Living without her

I'd go insane"

___

She was seated next to Bellamy in the Dropship, he was observing the field she'd made, she was tending to Myles, who was still weak and impaled with arrows. As it turned out, the arrowhead had hooks in both directions, which meant that she would have to tear out a chunk of flesh no matter what and she wanted to put that of to the very last moment.

"You should keep your calm, you know," Katherine said softly as she changed the wraps around the arrows. She was referring to Bellamy's earlier outburst to a boy who'd wasted a bullet in his tiredness. She'd understood his reaction, and he was right, it was another bullet that could have killed a Grounder, but breaking out in a fury was no help either. "Outbursts like that makes people question you, which is the last thing you want, really."

"I know, Kat, but it's not like I can exactly control it," he replied. He wasn't snapping, but it was nowhere near friendly either.

She looked up from Myles, eyebrows raised high. As soon as she saw the look in his eyes, her expression softened. She observed the lines in his face, the tiredness and hopelessness in his eyes. She let out a soft sigh and joined his side. After a moment of hesitation, she gently laid her hand over his, giving it a soft squeeze. It made her cheeks heat up and her heart skip a beat, but when he gave her hand a gentle squeeze back, she knew she'd made the right decision.

After her past with her Dokter, she didn't think she could ever be physically close to someone without changing in a real-life statue and feeling like she could pass out any minute, but here she was, holding hands with the only person here on Earth who knew of her past and didn't condemn her for it.

"You think I should go after them?" Bellamy asked, his voice hushed.

She looked up, brown meeting blue. After a sweet second, she looked back at the battlefield she'd set up, biting the inside of her cheek rather harshly. "You're probably going to lose more men trying to find them," Katherine admitted. She wanted to go after Monty too, knowing he would do the same for her in an instant. "But sometimes it's morality that matters too. They wouldn't leave you behind either, even if it meant they could die."

"So, you think I should lead a group out there?" he asked. "So that they can separate us and shoot us all off, one by one, like some sort of afternoon sports event?"

"No," she replied softly, not really bothered by his defensiveness. "I didn't say that."

Before either of them could say anything, Jasper walked in, a sullen look on his face. For a short moment, his eyes fell onto their intertwined hands and lingered there, but he didn't comment on it. He didn't say anything at all, it was Bellamy who broke the silence.

"Don't you think I want to go after them too?" he said, or rather yelled out.

Katherine let out a soft sigh, knowing very well in which direction this conversation was heading.

"If it was you out there," Jasper began, much like she'd done earlier.

"They'd go after me," Bellamy said, effective cutting Jasper off. "Then they'd be dead, too. I am doing what I think is right for the group."