EIGHTEEN

✿ EIGHTEEN ✿

"Save me, save me

Only love, only love"

___

Katherine watched in anticipation as Raven did the final checks on the flares, to make sure that they wouldn't launch the wrong way and that there was enough rocket fuel. Her giddiness had been replaced with sadness as soon as she couldn't help or lead anything, and biting on her lip she thought how much Charlotte would have loved to see these flares. 

"Don't think that way," Nate said next to her as if he could read her mind. He had noticed that she didn't like it very much when people touched her, so he ruffled her hair carefully. He had gotten his beanie back earlier after a playful fight that had earned them a glare from Clarke. "Just enjoy the show."

She gave Nate a nod and really tried her best to not think about Charlotte, or death in general. That worked out fine, until Bellamy decided to stand next to her. He didn't say anything, so neither did she. She chose to take Nate's advice to heart and ignored the man.

 Raven did the count down, launched the flares herself and with an impressing noise they soared up high in the sky. Katherine watched in awe as the purple flares shot up against the dark night. They were almost like shooting stars, with which she had had an obsession when she was younger. She tried not to think about things that made her home-sick, like her mother's smile or Charlotte's little pigtails, but it that was hard in moments like these.

"Do you think they can see it from up there?" Bellamy asked from beside her. 

Now Katherine couldn't longer ignore him. She took a quick glance at his face. His facial features looking even prettier in the bright light, his eyes reflecting the purple flares like little twinkles. She reminded him of the god of war or an archangel, fierce and strong and handsome. She shrugged her shoulders and looked up at the sky again. 

"Did you know people used to wish on stars?" Katherine asked. She felt hopeful that the people on the Ark would see the flares in time. That her mother would see it, and that she would smile and be proud. "I just wish that the people up there will see this in time."

"I wouldn't know what to wish for," Bellamy answered honestly. His eyes wandered from the flares to Katherine to Miller, who was standing next to her, to Katherine again. He felt a pang of something he couldn't understand. 

Feeling like she was stared upon, Katherine turned her head. For just a second she stared Bellamy in his endless eyes, and then she decided that she shouldn't be too harsh on him. He only tried to do what was right, or so she told herself. "You still want to talk?"

"No, it's okay actually," Bellamy said. He shook his head, his loose curls moving along with his movements, and he gave Katherine a calculated smile. "Thanks, though."

Katherine gave a terse nod and couldn't help but feel like she had been rejected. Not that it really mattered, because more than friends she and Bellamy wouldn't ever become. And she figured that friends might already be like asking too much. 

A shiver ran down her spine as she watched the last of the flares disappear and without saying another word, she took off to her and Nate's tent. On her way, she stopped at the place where they dried and conserved their meat. Without even bothering to look around if somebody could see her, she wrapped up a piece of something she guessed was chicken and hid it under her jacket. 

As she entered the tent, she noticed that Panther was pacing restlessly around. As soon as his venomous green eyes landed on her, though, he didn't know how fast he had to jump up to her legs, probably already smelling the chicken. Katherine smiled tiredly and gave the amazing animal a pet on his head. "Perhaps I will sneak you to the woods tomorrow. We can play and hunt there."