THIRTY-ONE

✿ THIRTY-ONE ✿

"Feel her breath on my face

Her body close to me"

___

The next morning she was up early, strolling around restlesly. There was nothing in particular she could do, since all the bullets had been splitter already and she was obviously not allowed out of Camp alone, not that she had an urge to do so.

Her eyes were tired from sleeplessness, but every time she closed her eyes, all she felt was shame and humiliation, mostly from and for herself. How could she have been so stupid to think his careful actions had meant something more than an attempt to get in her pants? Especially after she'd been warned by Octavia. The fact that she'd gone to him over something so stupid as an old book made the case even worse.

"Can't sleep either?" she heard someone call out from behind her. The voice sounded hushed and she couldn't place it immediately, but when she turned around she was surprised to see Murphy. He was observing her with careful eyes, but his usual smirk and degrading stare had disappeared. She wasn't sure which Murphy she liked better, Frog-Face, or this one.

"No, something with nonstop brain activity or so," Katherine replied, chuckling softly. She stuck her hands in the pockets of her jacket, stopping in order to let Murphy catch up. "Finn and Clarke still aren't back, are they?"

Under other circumstances, she wouldn't have worried. Though it was nothing for Clarke to stay away for so long, she also knew that the girl was in love with Finn and that the latter could have some persuasive influence. Now, however, with the Grounders on high alert thanks to the bomb they had set off on the bridge, it was a whole different case. And on top of that there was the fact that Clarke was one of the leaders.

"No, still no sign of them," Murphy replied. He looked up to her, his blue eyes bright in the morning light. The cuts and bruises on his face looked a little better, but they were still a silent witness of the heavy beating he'd undergone. She noticed how she felt for him, which made her feel as if her stomach was knotted.

"I seriously hope everything is alright," Katherine muttered, not knowing what else to say. She wasn't in a very talkative mood, especially with someone like Murphy, around whom she always felt like she had to walk on eggshells.

"Yeah me too," he said, looking out to the gates. "Last thing we need right now is to miss a leader figure and a doctor."

"Exactly, it's chaotic enough as it is right now," she replied. To avoid Murphy's gaze, she watched over Camp and she couldn't help but admire the group for building this place from nothing. Though the whole setting had given and still gave her a sort 'Lord of the Flies' feeling, she was still happy she was on Earth and she had witnessed all of its wonders, instead of back up there, in her isolation cell. There, it was completely certain she would float. Here, she stood a small chance.

"Bellamy is walking in this direction," Murphy muttered subtly under his breath. "And he's not looking too happy."

As if she was stung by a bee, Katherine turned around to look at the second leader of this bunch of chaos, immediately noticing the annoyed expression on his face as his eyes were set upon Murphy. With his brows furrowed and his face set in such a grim expression, he really looked like a hero storming off to war. In all ways, he looked like a young god of war, unruly, breathtaking and conflicted through the core.

Too late she noticed that she was staring again and her dreamy expression made a place for one matching his, high eyebrows and an unbothered expression. He'd even made sure she'd ruined the ancient book, darn him. If that wasn't enough reason to be angry at him, then she wasn't sure what could be.