TWENTY-TWO

✿ TWENTY-TWO ✿

"No, I don't want to fall in love,

With you"

___

That evening she sat on a log by the fire outside. She had grabbed her blanket and wrapped herself in it, like a human burrito. It was getting colder and colder every day, and Katherine wasn't looking forward to winter. She had heard it was beautiful, especially if everything turned white because of the snow, but she couldn't stand cold temperatures.

Her cell in isolation had been cold as well. They had spared her neither food, nor oxygen or energy to warm up her cell. Suddenly, she longed to her quiet little cell. She didn't have the luxuries she had on Earth, but had been just her, her books and occasionally, Sergeant Miller. The only death she had to worry about was her own in over a little more than a year and that was it. Now she had seen enough death for a lifetime.

Katherine thought about her mother. She hadn't seen or spoken her in over four years. It seemed like a miraculously long time without your mother, but Katherine had got used to it. The thought of seeing her gentle face and hearing her warm voice finally again, made Katherine both excited and nervous. After all, they had so many things to speak about and they had only gotten assigned half an hour tomorrow.

She wondered how she had managed after Noah's death. He had made her mother more than dependable on him, and Katherine had hated him for it. She fiercely hoped that after his death she had gotten help and gotten her life on the rails again. Thoughts of possible situations other than that one made Katherine feel an ache deep in her heart. She might have let a monster into their lives, but she also was the woman who had sung to her when she was afraid and had placed loving kisses on her forehead.

As she noticed someone sitting next to her, Katherine straightened her back and pulled her blanket a little tighter around her. Everybody had left for their beds, or what had been left of it, about an hour ago. Nate had to watch the Grounder, so Octavia had offered her a place in her tent for the night, even though her and Nate's tent had been one of the few that wasn't touched by the storm.

For a couple of minutes, the person next to her didn't say anything. From the corners of her eye Katherine realised with a little jolt that it was Bellamy and suddenly she felt ten years older. She didn't want to start a fight in the late night with him, so as long as he kept his mouth shut, so did she, the both of them just staring endlessly into the crackling flames.

"I'm sorry," Bellamy broke the silence softly.

Katherine felt his eyes shift from the fire to the side of her face. She had a good feeling of what he was saying sorry for, his scolding in front of the Grounder, but she wasn't really impressed. Bellamy had said many things over the past couple of two weeks and for some things he had kept his words, for others not.

Katherine let a loud sigh escape over her lips. Though she didn't feel particularly impressed, she didn't feel like a grudge would earn her much either. So she just shrugged, still not looking at the man next to her. She wondered once again if he remembered her from his time as a cadet, and more importantly, if he knew what made her end up in the Skybox.

"It's okay," Katherine replied. She didn't know what else to say. She wanted to ask him if he was okay, she wanted to tell him that he knew too much about her and she knew nothing of him, except for the fact that he had shot Chancellor Jaha, but she knew she couldn't. It left her with a feeling she couldn't describe. Bellamy always somehow managed to make her feel that way.