THIRTY-FIVE

✿ THIRTY-FIVE ✿

" Hooked on your love

Like a powerful drug"

___

She was below in the Dropship with Clarke, searching for a red wire that was the key to everything. Raven was sitting on the floor above them, shouting orders and insults that grew weaker with every passing minute. It made Katherine fill with dread, because without her and her genius mind, all of them would die at the hand of grounders.

With an anxious heart, Katherine listened to the gunshots that sounded over the radio, followed by the frustrated shouts of the members in the foxholes. Not being able to control herself, she grabbed the walkie-talkie, pressing the button and putting the microphone to her mouth. "Are the grounders walking laterally? Or are they coming at you?"

It took a moment, which she spent tapping her fingers nervously on her thigh, but then came an answer. "Laterally."

"Stop shooting then," she replied. "They're making you waste your ammo."

Clarke turned around from her position at the jumble of wires, an expression of surprise on her face. Katherine only shrugged. She considered it only logical, if she was facing an opponent with weapons she didn't have, she would try everything to get the battlefield in her favour too.

"Katherine's right," Bellamy said over the radio. Her heart leapt at the sound of his voice and she put down the walkie-talkie, trying to contain her facial expressions. Most of her anxiousness was due to the fact that Bellamy was in the only foxhole with no mines guarding it and to make matters worse, Nate, her best friend, was right beside him. "Stop firing till they're really attacking us."

"Has anybody ever told you that your pet panther is really soft, Katherine?" Raven drawled out, sounding slightly drunk.

Katherine scoffed, though it wasn't in amusement. She'd left Panther upstairs with Raven, since the only thing he could do down here was tripping wires and setting something alight that wasn't supposed to be alight. "Yeah, he's a real fluffball," she said, trying to focus on the wires on her side again. "Except for his teeth, of course, they can rip out a throat. Oh, and don't forget his claws, those are a mean piece of work."

"Hey, Katherine?" Raven called out again. The girl, her nimble fingers following thick bundles of wires, only gave an affirmative grunt, loud enough to be heard. "I didn't mean to hook up with Bellamy. I didn't know he was your boyfriend and all."

Her fingers halted and she bit on the inside of her lip harshly. The last thing she wanted to think about now was Bellamy and Raven, together and with little clothes, not that it was really her place to think anything of it. After all, she didn't even know what she and Bellamy really were. "Well, it's a good thing he isn't my boyfriend then, isn't it?" she called back, her voice still sounding a little sour.

"I found the orange wire!" Clarke suddenly exclaimed, sounding euphoric.

Glad for the distraction, Katherine spun around, awkwardly crawling to Clarke. A wave of relief crashed over her when she saw that it was indeed the wire Raven had been describing to them more times than she could count, but that feeling soon disappeared as the girls found out that the wire was fried.

"You've got to be kidding me," Katherine scoffed. She rolled her eyes and plopped from her feet on her bum, folding her arms around her knees. "Earth must be the cruelest joke ever played on humanity."

"What is it?" Raven called down. Her voice was laced with concern, and rightfully so.

Clarke let out a loud, defeated sigh. "The wire is fried, totally useless," the girl said. "Please tell me that isn't as bad as I think it is."