Chapter 5:

You woke up in an empty bed, you groaned out in annoyance when you reached out and realized Levi was not there. You shot up in bed, wrapping the blanket around you and you shut your eyes at the blinding sun beaming through a crack in the curtains.

You swung your legs over the edge of the bed, stretching your back out a bit.

Man you were sore...

"Fuck." You hissed when you stood up feeling the pain between your legs, and you made your way slowly to the dresser, grabbing a shirt and tight black pants. You threw your hair in your usual messy low bun and you headed out the door.

You winced and squinted at the very bright sun and you walked slowly to go find your squad. You made it two steps before jumping at the yelling Simon.

"Captain!" He exclaimed.

"Simon, hi yes, what do you want?" You said rubbing your eyes a bit.

"Oh sorry, did you just wake up?!"

"Simon, you're shouting." You stated, putting a hand up so he would stop, and he apologized.

"Um, I've been meaning to ask you something..." He looked nervous as he was scratching the back of his head.

Oh my god... was this about Ava?!

"Sure, ask away." You tried to play it off as if you had no idea what he was going to say.

"Are you opened to letting anyone else join our squad?" He said.

Wow... you really had no idea what he was going to say.

"Uh- um, I'm allowed to recruit members... if that's what you're asking... But I have to know them, and, well... would want to recruit them."

"Great." He smiled and turned you around. And you were face to face with a red head.

"Hi." She said, in a stern tone, trying to show her strength. "My name is-"

"Nifa," you cut her off, "yeah I know you."

She smiled softly at you, her eyes darting between you and Simon.

To be honest, you've heard about her, she had potential, but you didn't exactly know much about her fighting style. Plus, Commander Erwin seemed to use her a lot for some of his missions.

Your eyes shot down over her entire body. She was short, pretty, but didn't exactly seem... strong. "I'm assuming you're telling me about her for a reason." Your eyes were now locked on Simon.

"Oh, uh- yes." They looked at each other and smiled a bit. "I believe... Nifa would be an excellent addition to our squad."

Your eyes now darted between them as she nodded excessively. "I- well I've heard good things about you, but I'm not really looking for anyone else to join my squad." You gave her an apologetic look, but Simon was the one that looked more disappointed.

"I understand, thank you." She said, looking down at her feet.

"I don't." Simon interjected and walked closer to you. "May I speak with you in private Captain?"

"Sure." You said, and not even a second later he gripped your forearm and guided you away so Nifa was out of ear shot.

"Listen-"

"You two are together." You interrupted, with a slight smirk.

"Y-yeah," he loosened his grip around your arm, "how did you know?"

"I can always tell." You teased. "Look Simon, I think for your sake it's best if she stays with Commander Erwin." He looked down again. "I mean, I've heard really good things about her, but just throwing her in the mix now, not exactly knowing what we're doing, she doesn't know our squad and how we work, and she doesn't know Levi's squad... I really just think it's safer for her to stay up here." You said truthfully.