Chapter 40: Leo

After you woke up, much earlier than Levi, you decided to go out in town to walk around and get your mind off of things for a little, maybe even pick up some food.

As you closed the door behind you and made your way down the stairs to walk around you were immediately shoved by a strong force around your legs, you looked at what it was and saw Leo squeezing you tight, his face squished up against your waist.

Your heart sank a bit at the feeling of him around you and you smiled a bit to yourself.

"Hi Leo." You said, your voice was still husky from still being tired.

"I'm in town!" He cheered, stomping his little feet.

"Yes, I can see that, why is that?" You leaned down to pick him up.

"Leo!" You turned to see Ava and Ekho running towards you out of breath.

"Hey." You smiled at them softly and they both looked so sorry.

"Hey, how are you feeling?" Ava asked, still out of breath.

"I'm okay." You said and she could tell that you weren't. "Are you guys watching over him?" You asked, lifting Leo up a little more.

"Yeah, since last night." Ekho added, finally catching his breath. "But he always runs off." He groaned and Leo just laughed, you looked at him smiling down at him.

"You know you shouldn't run off Leo." You said with a warm warning tone and he looked up at you. "I used to do that too and I got myself into a lot of bad situations like that." You added and he nodded.

"Okay, I won't do it again." He looked down.

"You're lying." You said and he looked back up at you, surprised. "You always look down when you lie." You flicked his nose and he giggled. You turned to look over to Ekho and Ava who looked absolutely sleep deprived. "Why are you two watching him?" You asked, putting him down, but grabbing his arm right away as he was about to take off again.

"The orphanage took in a bunch of new kids now, and there's no place for them all, so while they're building more places for them to stay, some kids are being watched over by people in town." She pointed around and you noticed an unusual amount of kids. "They wanted to give Leo to you and Levi for a while, but with your guys' schedule and what happened, I thought maybe it would be best if we just took him for a bit." She admitted.

"Yeah, probably." You said, looking down at where yours and Leo's hands were connected. "But, we're not scheduled to do anything today, if you want, I can watch him for a bit. You guys look exhausted." They both sighed in relief.

"Don't feel like you have to." Ava said, probably still worried about how you were doing after your miscarriage. "We can force ourselves to stay up."

"No, don't worry, I think it would be nice to spend some time with him." You gave them a reassuring smile and they nodded.

"Okay, well don't hesitate to come knocking on my door if you need us." She yawned and you promised that you would if need be. They both turned away and headed towards Ava's room.

You looked down at Leo, who's eyes were locked on a street vendor, his shop full of all sorts of bread. "You hungry?"

"YES!" He exclaimed.

"Alright, let's go eat." He rushed over towards the bread, dragging you along with him and you let him choose whatever he wanted. He examined all of them closely and the shop owner leaned over the counter to spot him.

"Well aren't you a cutie." The man said and looked up at you. "Captain (Y/n)." He straightened, realizing it was you. "I didn't know you had a son."