Chapter 48: Erwin

You watched as Armins Titan body reached for Bertholdts limbless self as you sat next to Levi and Hanjie, all three of you now turning away to look at Erwin after Armin ate the body and fell to the ground.

"Why'd you do it?" Floch asked, and Levi began to explain, but you were so focused on Erwin's face and you reached to brush some specks of dirt off his face. His cheeks were so cold, and you couldn't help but think back to all the times you shared with him. When he picked you up from the underground... When he wanted you to join the Survey Corps so badly... When he defended you and praised you to anyone who ever doubted you... When he watched over you like a father and... walked you down the aisle when you thought no one else would. You sniffled as you heard Levi say to Floche that it was time to let Erwin rest.

"Erwin..." Levi's voice was soft and low. "I promised that I'd kill the Beast Titan, but it's going to have to wait." Levi stated as Hanjie bent over his body and opened his eye lids to examine his eyes and she sighed.

"He's... dead." She closed them again and you looked at Levi who was looking at his feet, and you could see the tears weld in his eyes. You shifted closer to him, putting your arm around him to comfort him, wanting to give him some space, but you made a shocked noise as he leaned into you, burying his head against your neck while he shook a bit, trying his best to hold back his tears.

You looked up at Hanjie and she stood up, making a head gesture to Floch to follow her, giving you both some time alone so Levi could let out his emotions freely.

You didn't say much to him, but you just grazed his back, rubbing it while occasionally kissing the top of his head. You could hear everyone else help out Armin as they ripped him out of his Titan form.

You had to admit you were happy to see him alive, but you coldn't deny losing Erwin was a big price to pay. And... Levi and you both lost someone very important to you.

Sure you had a good relationship with Erwin and you looked up to him greatly, but Levi... lost someone who changed his life forever, someone who he trusted and someone who he expected to walk out of this long war with.

You heard someones gear land next to you and spotted Ava, who stared as Levi was still hiding his face. She gave you an apologetics look before clearing her throat. "I'm sorry to intrude, but we're going to go look for some survivors and bring Armin and Sasha up to the wall. Afterwards when everyone is ready..." she looked down at Levi. "We'll go looking for Eren's basement." She looked at you now. "Hanjie's orders." And you nodded. "Take your time though." She added, and you continued to comfort Levi.

You stayed in silence again, letting Levi take as much time as he needed as he continued to hold onto you. You looked down however as he mumbled something against you.

"What was that?" you asked softly.

"We should put his body somewhere." He said and he looked up at you. His eyes were puffed and red.

"Okay..." You nodded, but examined his face to make sure he was okay. "We can do that." You gave him a soft smile. "I'll go get Hanjie." You said about to stand, but Levi pulled down on your hand to keep you from standing. It took you a moment to realize what he wanted, but his silence and saddened face said it all. You knelt back down, but this tim Levi sat forward and you sat next to him. You leaned your head on his shoulder, taking his hand in yours, brushin the top of it with your thumb, and he rested his head on yours. Now realizing that he wasn't quite ready to put his friend away.

"God... I don't even know what to do next." He admitted.

"We start by doing what we always do in these situations..." You took a deep breath in, and his hand tightened around yours. "We take it one step at a time and move forward."