Chapter58

Zarah...
"The last thing I want was to be caught by Abdul. I never intended to eavesdrop, but I couldn't trust him, not after she came back into his life. 'First love never dies,' he once said, a fact I had to accept, even if I didn't want to.

'What brings you out here at this midnight hour?' he asked, his hands clasped together on his chest, his brows furrowed in concern.

I hesitated, unsure of what to say, my mind racing with excuses and explanations. But before I could speak, he took a step closer, his eyes narrowing slightly, as if he could see right through me."

"Instead of answering, I should have shouted or screamed at him. But there I stood, frozen in place, admiring his features. He's handsome, not in the classical sense, but with a unique appearance that sets him apart from the crowd. His fair, almost pale white complexion is even more striking than I remembered. His eyes are a deep, expressive brown that seem to hold a world of emotions, and his well-trimmed beard and perfectly cut low-fade hair accentuate his chiseled features. A simple white shirt and sweat shorts suit him perfectly, showcasing his fit physique.

But it's not just his physical appearance that draws me in. His eyes seem to hold a deep pain, a hint of sadness that flickers in and out of view like a fleeting shadow. His face has a faraway look, a hint of melancholy that can't be quite put into words. And yet, despite this, there's an undeniable allure to him, a sense of mystery that keeps me captivated."

"Back on earth, he snapped, jolting me out of my trance. Then it hit me - the phone call. 'Who called you at this midnight hour, Abdul?' I demanded, anger lacing my voice.

Ya Allah, babe, how many times do I have to tell you it isn't safe to come out alone at this hour?'

'But I'm asking you something,' I pressed on, frustration rising. 'Who called you? Why are you avoiding my question, Abdul? You're always like this lately...I can't seem to understand you anymore.'

He repeated his question, his tone unwavering. 'What brought you out here tonight?' I felt a surge of exasperation. '

Abdul, I'm asking you something, and you're asking me a different question! Why are you being so evasive?'

The air was thick with tension as we stood there, locked in a silent standoff, each waiting for the other to yield."

"I cupped his face, gazing at him with tear-filled eyes that blurred my vision. 'Abdul, what's happening? You're not the person I know. What's wrong with you? Someone or something is dragging you away from me, Abdul.'

My voice cracked as tears streamed down my cheeks. 'You always gave her more attention than me and the baby. You're mean, rude, and everything these days. Why me, Abdul? You know how much it hurts.'

I struggled to hold back my sobs. 'I'm always trying to make you happy, but these days, you never make me happy or give me your full attention. Asma, Asma, Asma - she always gets your attention. Do you know how I feel? I feel unwanted, like maybe it's because of my family background or something.'

The words poured out of me like a torrent, a mix of pain, sadness, and desperation. I felt like I was losing the man I loved, and I didn't know how to stop it."

"Abdul, I asked myself today if you still love me, and the answer I got was devastating - you don't love me anymore. You don't care about me like you used to. I'm consumed by restlessness and unease, Abdul. You've made it clear that your love for me has faded."

He wiped away my tears, but his gesture only confirmed what I already knew. "Abdul, you've stopped loving me. All you care about now is Asma, Asma, Asma. Do you have any idea how much that hurts? You even take me to her place just to see her - the thought alone is unbearable."