Chapter24

Zarah....
"Ya Allah, am I dreaming or what? He actually came!" I thought to myself, surprised by his unexpected visit. However, the thought that he might have just come to greet Ammi made me frown a little bit. "But I'm happy, I'm hell happy to see him after a month!" I contradicted myself, feeling a mix of emotions.

After I called her, I waited patiently in her room, waiting for her to come back. After a while, she walked in, and I remained in my position, unsure of what to say. She didn't say anything either, continuing to fold her clothes and arrange them in her wardrobe.

Ammi, wallah, I didn't know he was coming," I said in a hurry, seeing the look she gave me.

"Did I say anything? No, Ammi, but

"Go !" She exclaimed

I let out a small laughter, while she just shook her head.

I went directly to the kitchen, arranged some refreshments on a tray, and took it to him. "Abdul," I spoke, looking at him, as he stood up, which made me frown. "I'll go to the masjid, I haven't prayed," he concluded, looking at me, and I nodded in understanding. After a while, he came back and took a sip of water. I looked at him nervously, unsure of what to say or do next.

I cleared my throat, trying to draw his attention back to me, but he's still engrossed in his phone.

"Ina yini," I greeted him, trying again.

"How are you doing?" He finally looked up, asking, "How's your studies?"

"I'm fine, Alhamdulillah." I replied.

What about you? How have you been doing? And how's our Ummi?"

She's doing great, Alhamdulillah."he responded, "

After that, an awkward silence fell between us. I want to apologize, but I didn't know where to start. After gathering my courage, I spoke up, "Abdul, I'm sorry about what happened. I didn't intend to hurt you; I didn't mean what I said."

He raised his hand, stopping me mid-sentence. "What happened has already happened; I don't want to talk about it anymore. But the truth is, you hurt my feelings a lot. Even if Asma told you something about me, you shouldn't have taken action without confronting me and hearing my side of the story. You just went and did whatever came to your mind. And you didn't have to use my sickness against me and insult me that way."

He smiled, but his response is  unsettling. "Let's hope so," he said, leaving me wondering what he meant. It sounded like he isn't convinced of my apology.

"I think I should be going." He stood up

"Would you mind dropping me at Ama's house?" I asked,"I need to collect my book; it's already 5:00 pm."I explained,

He seemed hesitant, but eventually told me to meet him outside. I walked back to my room, slid on my hijab, grabbed my phone, and headed out the door. I informed Ammi that I am leaving, and she knows I will be heading to Ama's house.

As I stepped out of the house, I spotted his car waiting outside. I slid into the passenger seat, closing the door behind me. But instead of starting the engine, he just stared at me, which made me roll my eyes in exasperation.

"You said you don't want darkness to creep in while you're in Kaduna," I reminded him, looking at him.

"I missed you."He finally admitted with a broad smile on his face.

I raised an eyebrow, incredulous. "Really?! You missed me? Are you kidding me?" I said, emphasizing the irony. "Says the person who refused to pick my calls and was with another girl."