Chapter33

Two weeks later
Zarah..
"The house is quite noisy; people have started arriving for the wedding, and there's some tension between Abdul's family and Asma... it seems Abdul has called off the wedding, but I'm not entirely sure what happened."

"Hanan filled me in, as Abdul hasn't been sharing any details with me. I've gotten to know her, and she's really nice and friendly; we've become close friends in just two weeks, like we've known each other for years."

"I'm exhausted, wallah; all this wedding stress is overwhelming. Today, my aunties and others went to Abuja for my jere at my house, but I have no idea what the house looks like. I really want to see it; Iklima promised to FaceTime me as soon as they arrive."

I settled into my bed, doing nothing but waiting for Farida to come... I'm not allowed to go out, and I don't know why. Suddenly, my phone buzzed with a message; I knew it was Abdul - he sent me a voice note with some crazy music and men singing, which I couldn't understand at all.

I picked up the phone and checked his message. "Now you're going to pretend you didn't see my message, right?" 🥺I chuckled, replying to him. "I don't understand what was said there, baby."

He didn't reply, but after a few minutes, he FaceTimed me. I slid and picked up, expecting to see his face, but instead, his beautiful niece, Ihsan, appeared on the screen. "Hello, aunty! Good afternoon!" she said, smiling.

The girl is adorable, wallah! I really like her; I met her when Abdul took me to their house for the first time. "Afternoon, my pumpkin! How are you doing today?" I asked.

"I'm good, mommy braided my hair today. How do I look?" she asked, looking eager for praise.

"Beautiful, my dear!" I replied. "But uncle A said I look bad," she frowned, looking upset.

"Oh, pumpkin, don't cry! He's just joking; you look lovely, Masha Allah!" I reassured her.

Her smile grew wider. "Tell him to buy me chocolates!"

"I will, baby," I replied. "Aunty, you see, he's laughing at me and calling me a small rat. Tell him to stop!"

"Oya, uncle A, can you hear me clearly? Stop calling my pumpkin a rat, or we'll make you starve for weeks!"

I can hear the sound of Abdul's laughter, and then he said, "Oya, come, walidatik tatasil bik" (your mommy is calling you).

"Aunty, when will you come? Mommy is calling me; please come tomorrow and buy me a teddy bear and chocolates," Ihsan asked, her eyes sparkling with excitement. I laughed, and she kissed the screen, making me laugh even more.

Then, Abdul's face popped into the screen, and his eyes widened, looking intently at me. "You've lost a lot of weight; what's the matter? What happened?" he asked, his voice filled with concern.

"Nothing, just wedding stress; you know," I replied, frowning. "Why did you make Ihsan cry?"

"Oh, she's just disturbing me; she kept talking nonstop about her mommy braiding her hair. I told her the hair looks bad, and she started crying. I had to call you; she is going to make me deaf!" Abdul said, chuckling.

I let out a laughter. "Where is Sufyan?" I asked.

"Sufyan is there with them; Ummi and the rest are watching some Indian series, and he's joined them, disturbing their lives," Abdul replied. "I don't know what you girls enjoy in this. 'Love always'... I just don't get it."

I let out another laughter. "You're just not fond of watching series, but Indian series are literally the best!"

Abdul chuckled. "Not the best, trust me. There is this one series I watched with Ummi; the guy was saying he loves the girl, bla bla bla, and then later... Wait, what's bla bla, Abdul? You just don't understand a movie, that's it. Okay, okay, I give up; I won't argue."