Chapter29

Abdullah..
"Ya Sadeeq, what did Abba tell you?" I asked again, unsure about what I had heard.

"You heard me clearly, right? They said you can't marry their daughter alongside someone else on the same day. It's either you marry Fatima first, then Asma after a month, or you marry Asma first, then Fatima after two months. Ya Allah!" Abdul exclaimed, shaking his head.

"Ya Allah, indeed!" I muttered, massaging my beard. "What else did  he say, ya Sadeeq?" I asked, seeking clarification.

Abdul took another file from his desk, "Uncle Ibrahim also spoke to them, but her uncle still disagreed. So, when Abba spoke, he said they would think about it... Think, ku...ma yaya, uhum... Toh, did they collect what the I forget the name ?

"Kudin gaisuwa, yes!" I snapped, remembering.

"Yeah, they did, and luckily, the marriage has been fixed for the next four months. But still, they didn't agree about the joint marriage with Asma, and her uncle is talking about her studies..."

"He looked up, thinking, 'These people won't agree their daughter's education; what do you think?' You're marrying her off, and her studies are the point - from Kaduna to Abuja.

No, yaya, she will continue her studies; I'm thinking of transferring her to Baze University here."

"That sounds good and a great idea," he replied.
But yaya, wallahi, I can marry both of them off at the same time. Please talk to Abba; he should contact her uncle again." Abdul pleaded.

"And why will I...? Am I your child?

No, yaya, but..." i  trailed off.

"See, lil, what he did to you isn't right, but he regretted it. He realized his mistakes; why can't you forget and forgive? We all know what he did isn't intentional; he wasn't in his right sense when he divorced Ummi and showed hatred towards you and your sister...

Yaya, now you're siding with him after all we went through?" I asked, my voice laced with emotion.

The conversation is getting heated, and old wounds were being reopened. I couldn't help but feel a mix of emotions - anger, hurt, and frustration. His  words struck a chord, but I couldn't bring myself to forgive easily. The past still lingered.

"No, lil, you have to understand; I'm not siding with him at all. Allah loves the person who forgives. We all know who the culprit is; we know the person who has a hand in divorcing Ummi. Now, tell me, what's Abba's fault here?"

"That man was on his knees, begging you, Ummi, and your sister for forgiveness. They didn't forgive him, right? But after I explained everything to them, didn't they forgive him?" He asked, his voice rising.

I kept mute, Don't think I'm listening to him because everything he's saying is entering one ear and going out the other.

Am I not talking to you?"

"Don't they forgive him?" He repeated. "

They did," I replied.

"Then why, Abdul, Why can't you forgive him? Just give him a chance, please, lil; I'm begging you," he pleaded.

"Oh no, I can't... I just can't after all what he did," I said firmly, my emotions still raw.I understand his point about forgiveness, but the wounds of the past still lingered, making it hard to let go.

"Please, yaya, stop begging me. Just give me some time to think. I still can't get over what he did to us, and whenever I see him, the memories come flooding back. I'm going," I muttered, standing up.

"Okay, and please don't come back unless you come back to tell me that you're giving your father a chance," he said, his voice laced with concern.

"Okay," I replied, exiting the office and heading straight home. I freshened up and lay down on the bed, closing my eyes. I am really exhausted, and the marriage issue is weighing heavily on my mind. Ummi wouldn't say anything because she has already made her decision clear...

As I lay there, my thoughts raced with conflicting emotions. Forgiveness is a struggle, and the pain of the past lingered. The marriage proposal added another layer of complexity, and I felt torn between my loyalty to Ummi and the possibility of a new beginning. Time is  needed to reflect, but the clock is ticking, and decisions has to be made.

******************
One months later
"Nothing has happened in the month that passed, and nothing seems to be right. Zarah's family still hasn't agreed to the marriage on the same day. But Abba is trying very hard, although I'm not talking to him. Sufyan didn't come back, and working alone in the office is killing me, wallah! Oh, I forget that Zarah is coming here; her sister is about to deliver, so she'll help her with some things."

My phone, which was beside me, vibrated with a message from Ya Sadeeq. I smiled, knowing he's not talking to me at all; he said that until I forgive Abba, we won't go back to our normal terms, which is something that can never be possible. But he's been visiting Ummi a lot lately, which I don't understand the reason for. I'm definitely sure he's planning something.

"Lucky you, I was informed today that they agreed," he wrote. My lips curled into a thin line. I stood up from the bed, wanting to share the news with Ummi first. I slid my leg into my shoes and walked out of my room...

As I approached the house, I noticed the premises is  filled with cars and security personnel. I walked towards the parlour, about to enter, when I heard the voice I despise the most. I tried to escape before Ummi could see me, but it is  too late. "Come back here!" she shouted.

I closed my eyes, trying to control my rage. I didn't want Ummi to be mad at me again; last time, she didn't speak to me for weeks. I put on a mask, forcing a fake smile, and walked into the parlour. "Ummi, you called?"

"Can't you greet people? Is that what I taught you? And coming into a room without saying 'salam'?" she scolded. "Wallah, Abdul, kun hadhiran maei (be careful with me)."

"No, please, let him be; it's nothing," Abba intervened, but Ummi gestured for me to greet him. "Sannu fah," I muttered, exiting the parlour quickly and taking a deep breath.

"Why is Ummi doing this to me? Why?" I thought, feeling frustrated and trapped. I grabbed my car keys and drove away from the house, seeking escape from the tension and emotional turmoil.

Ummeetarh05