Chapter39

One month later...
Zarah..
"The past month has been a blur, but Alhamdulillah, everything is going great between Abdul and me. I've started attending lectures, and Abdul kindly drops me off at school before heading to the office. He even picks me up after my lectures. Lately, I've been feeling homesick, missing my family terribly - Chuchu, Ya Hafix, and Ammi. I wish I could visit them, but Anty Ramla advised me against asking Abdul about going home so soon, saying it's still too early.

Currently, Hanan and I are taking a break in the school cafeteria after our first lecture. To shift my focus, I asked her, "Let's talk about something, please? How are things going between you and Sufyan?" I noticed her face is flushed, and I wondered if everything is okay.

"Hanan confided in me that she's in love with Sufyan and asked for my help in setting them up. She's too afraid to approach Abdul about it, so I decided to talk to him on her behalf. When I got home, I brought it up with Abdul, but all he did was laugh and warn me that Sufyan isn't serious about relationships. He said Sufyan would only play with Hanan's feelings. I pleaded with Abdul, suggesting that maybe Sufyan could change his ways. Abdul remained skeptical, but I decided to take a chance. I called Sufyan and told him I wanted to set him up on a date with someone, but only if he promised not to toy with her emotions. It took him a while to respond, but eventually, he agreed and asked me to send the girl's number."

"I don't think this will work out, Zarah," Hanan said, looking worried. "He's not even serious about me. He rarely talks to me, and whenever I try to chat with him, it takes him forever to reply. He always seems distant and preoccupied."

I chuckled reassuringly, "Don't worry, I know what to do."

We continued discussing our lectures, and I mentioned how much I miss my friends Ama and Farida. After our second lecture, which ended at 3:00 pm, we walked out of the classroom and spotted Abdul leaning against his car in the parking lot, engrossed in a phone call. "Okay, bye!

Come on, let's go together," I said to Hanan, trying to convince her. "I promise Abdul will give you a ride back home."

Hanan hesitated, "But my mom will scold me...

I promise you, tomorrow, though." I persisted,

Please, I'll ask Abdul to call your mom and explain. Let's go!" We both walked towards the car and slid in.

"Ina yini, Hanan  greeted him ,

Lafiya, how's your studies?" he asked, showing concern.

Not easy, but Alhamdulillah," she replied, expressing gratitude despite the challenges.

"Did you call him?" I asked Abdul, referring to Sufyan, as I have made a plan and he promised to bring Sufyan to our house today.

I did, but he made a lot of excuses, saying he has many things to handle and couldn't make it today," Abdul replied, chuckling. "You know, sometimes that boy is tough, but I tried my best. He said he'll try to come." I prayed he wouldn't ruin my plan.

Miss matchmaker Abdul let out a chuckle, and I playfully hit his arm,

Not funny,

He laughed and asked, "When do you want to go to Aunty Ramla's house?"

Tomorrow after lectures, please," I replied.

"Okay," he agreed. "How's  today's lectures?"

Fine, Alhamdulillah," I said, grateful for a good day. The ride continued as we chatted, enjoying each other's company.

******

After we arrived home, Abdul parked his car in the parking lot.

"See, he didn't call Mami," Hanan pointed out, looking concerned.

He'll call, I promise," I said, trying to reassure her. "Let's go, you should freshen up first, and help me cook for... uh... your... uh... I said, walking ahead of her.

"What do you mean, Zarah?" Hanan asked, quickening her pace to catch up with me.

Baby, just chill," I said with a wink. We made our way to my room, where I removed my veil and tidied up my hair. "Go freshen up," I told Hanan, pushing her towards the bathroom. Meanwhile, I wrote a small note on a piece of paper and left it on the bed, smiling cheekily before dashing out of the room.

I headed straight to Abdul's room, finding him lying on his stomach in bed with one eye closed. "Miss matchmaker!" he chuckled, lifting his gaze to face me.

"Not funny!" I whined, throwing a throw pillow at him. He stood up from his lying position, pulling me towards him. "You are Miss Matchmaker now," he teased, "trying to set up Sufyan and Hanan!"

"Just shut up, okay? I'm just helping," I said, rolling my eyes.

"Okay, we're helping," Abdul replied, smiling.

I hoped Sufyan wouldn't ruin my plan. "What time will he arrive?" I asked Abdul, who shrugged. "

I don't know, but let's call him." Abdul dialed Sufyan's number, and after three rings, he picked up. "What?!" Sufyan's voice boomed from the other side.

"When are you coming?" Abdul asked.

Last time I recalled, I didn't promise you that I'll come, right?" Sufyan replied.

Come on, bro," Abdul said, "I'm doing this for Zarah; please try and come."

I added, "Please, Sufyan, I've already said please." Sufyan chuckled and started to say something, but Abdul cut him off. "Zarah is here; she wants to talk to you."

"Hey Sufyan, good evening," I said, taking the phone from Abdul.

Hello, our wife. How are you doing?" Sufyan asked, using a term of endearment.

I'm fine, Alhamdulillah.

And how's school?" He asked.

School has been pretty good, Alhamdulillah. Erm, please Sufyan, if you wouldn't mind, I'm inviting you to have dinner at our place today, and I hope you won't say no."

"Sure, ma'am, how can I say no to our one and only wife? I'll be there, Insha Allah," Sufyan said, and I smiled, feeling relieved.

Okay, thanks!

Anything for you," he added before hanging up the call. I turned to Abdul, who's still chuckling. "You guys are always fighting; why?" I asked, curious.

Abdul just let out a laughter. "He's the best bro ever!"

At exactly 7:00 pm, Sufyan arrived at the house, and I was thrilled that everything is going according to my plan. Hanan and Sufyan finally has the chance to talk to each other, and I was over the moon with happiness.

We had dinner together, and afterwards, Sufyan offered to drive Hanan back home. I am glad to see them getting along, and I felt grateful that my matchmaking efforts has paid off.