Chapter27

Abdullah...
"Ya Abdullah, don't tell me you just heard the news and that's why you came?" Hanan exclaimed, embracing me warmly as soon as I parked my car in the parking lot. "I'm so happy for you, wallah!"

"What news?" I asked, looking at her with a bewildered expression.

"The one Abba just announced?" she replied, her eyes sparkling with excitement. "You don't know?"

I shook my head, "No, I have no idea."

Hanan began to explain, but Ya Sadeeq interrupted, "Nothing will be your reward, go away from here!" Hanan groaned and walked away,

I turned to Ya Sadeeq, "Bro, I muttered, giving him a side hug. "Lil, how are you doing?"

"I'm good, Yaya," i  replied. "I'm heading to Abba's place, and I have no idea what Hanan is talking about."

Ya Sadeeq's expression turned serious. "Nothing serious, just be patient, please... don't do anything stupid, promise me."

"I don't promise you," I said, trying to pull my hand away, "but I'll try to keep my patience."

He held my hand firmly, his eyes locked on mine.

"Promise me... please, I'll help you if things don't work out as you want," Ya Sadeeq said, extending his hand forward in a gesture of support.

I glanced at his palm, then his face, and hugged him. "I'll try, I promise."

He smiled and added, "Please, whatever he tells you, don't talk back to him, Lil. Just listen."

I smiled and nodded, then walked away, making my way straight to the person who has abandoned us - the man we called our Abba.

I entered the parlor and spotted him sitting on the couch, newspaper in hand, with his hypocritical wife beside him. I greeted him with a salam, as usual, but he didn't look up, only responding with a curt acknowledgement. I sat on the rug like an obedient child and greeted him again, but I deliberately ignored his wife, refusing to acknowledge her presence.

He finally put down his newspaper, looking at me with a stern expression as I kept my head bowed.

"Alhaji, see this unmannered child of yours?" his wife spoke up, "He didn't even greet me! I told you to pick your children from Amina, you refused. See how she raised them - no respect for their elders, no manners at all!"

I was about to respond, but my mother's words hit me like a slap. I closed my mouth immediately, knowing better than to speak up.

"Why don't you greet her, Abdullah?" Abba scolded, his voice firm. "I won't tolerate disrespect in my house. And I hope my message reached you?"

"What message, Abba?" I asked, feigning ignorance.

"Your wedding has been fixed with Asma'u in three months' time," he announced, his tone final. "I've taken care of all the arrangements, so there's no need for you or your mother to spend a single penny..."

The room fell silent, and I felt my world spinning out of control.

I felt sweat dripping down my face as I processed what I had just heard. "If my ears aren't lying, I think I heard him mention my marriage... to Asma'u... in three months' time?"This is too soon, I'm not ready..."

Abba's wife began to speak, but I interrupted, "Pardon me, ma'am, but I need some privacy with Abba." I muttered, trying to compose myself.

Abba raised his hand, and she reluctantly left the room, casting a disapproving glance my way, which I returned in kind.