Chapter40

Zarah..
Are you okay?" I asked Abdul, who woke up in the middle of the night, looking frightened. I switched on the light and saw his sweating face. He didn't reply, so I handed him a cup of water, and that's when I realized he is crying. Abdul, the strong and stoic one, is  crying - something I have never seen before.

"Ya Allah, Abdul, are you okay? What happened? Why are you crying? Please tell me," I said, taking his hand in mine.

He shook his head, wiping away the tears.

You had a bad dream?" I asked, shaking him gently.

He nodded, his eyes welling up again. "And I'm scared," he admitted, massaging his beard. "A dream about what?" I asked, but he nodded again, indicating it was personal.

I pulled him into a warm hug.

Just make a dua, and I assure you, nothing will happen."

He lay back on the bed, letting out a chuckle. "How sure are you that nothing will happen?" he asked, his voice laced with skepticism.

I just know," I exclaimed, placing a gentle kiss on his forehead.

*****

The next day, I woke up to the sound of my phone buzzing with an incoming call. I stretched out my hand and picked it up, seeing "Ummi" written boldly on the screen. I immediately answered, greeting her, and she asked about Abdul's well-being. That's when I noticed Abdul isn't in bed. I quickly cut the call and searched for him everywhere, but he is nowhere to be find. "My god!" I exclaimed, running my hand through my hair in worry.

The phone continued to ring repeatedly, and I wondered where Abdul could have gone so early. "Ya Allah, what's wrong with Abdul?" I thought, feeling anxious. I finally picked up the call again. "Ummi, I don't know where he went. I just woke up now," I answered sincerely.

She dropped a bombshell: "Sufyan has been in an accident and has been rushed to the hospital. But she specifically told me not to tell Abdul about it." I was confused - why wouldn't she want Abdul to know?

"Inna lillahi wa inna ilaihi raju'un," I whispered, the phone almost slipping from my hand. That's when Abdul appeared in front of me, asking what happened.

His eyes flicked to my phone, and he is about to pick it up, but I snatched it away. "Where have you been?" I asked, trying to act normal, but I know him - he would never believe me.

What's wrong with you?" he asked, his eyes fixed intently on mine.

"Nothing, Abdul," I lied. "Chuchu has been under the weather; Ammi is just telling me now." I tried to sound convincing, but Abdul's gaze is piercing.

Did you cry again?" I asked, noticing his red eyes.

"No!" he shook his head. "I'm just worried; Sufyan isn't picking up any of my calls, and I have something important to discuss with him."

"Maybe he's busy," I said, holding Abdul's hand. "But...

no but!" I  replied, his eyes fixed on mine.

Let's go and eat; no talking," i  said, silently nodding his head as we walked towards the dining area. I snatched his phone away, and he just smiled. "Let me quickly get a shower; wait here, please," i said, and he agreed.

"Yes, ma'am," he replied, taking my bath and cooking our breakfast. I arranged everything at the dining area, and we started eating in silence. "Stop staring at me," I smiled, looking in his direction.

"Babe, what's wrong today?" I asked, noticing his worried expression.

"What's wrong where? Aren't you going to school?

And aren't you going to the office?" I mumbled, twisting my lips.

He let out a laughter. "I am going, but I want to visit Ummi first.

You aren't going anywhere today; please stay with me today."

And school?" he questioned.

We don't have any lectures today," I mumbled, looking at him, trying to reassure him.

"Hmmm!" he hummed, shaking his head.

What, hmmm? I'm not lying, I promise," I said, trying to convince him.

He laughed, showing off his light dimples. "I don't remember saying that," he teased.

After breakfast, we sat down, doing nothing but sharing silly stories, and he would just laugh. Then, we decided to take a stroll down the street. Abdul changed into denim ripped jeans paired with a red shirt and sat on the edge of the bed, deep in thought, his hands on his cheeks. I squeezed my face, trying to get his attention, and gently called his name. He looked up, knowing what I meant by the look I gave him, and he silently muttered, "Sorry!"

I changed into a pink gown, picked up my veil, and we walked out of the house, strolling down the street. He showed me his friend's house, "Really, I don't know him. Did he attend our wedding?"

No, he has traveled to London at that time...

***

Around 1:30 am, we returned to our house, exhausted. Abdul lay on the bed, pulling me onto him. "I love you," he whispered in my ear.

Say something I don't know," I teased, winking.

"Okay, so..." he said, playing with my hair strands. I closed my eyes, readying myself for his touch. I felt his finger brushing against my bare back. He bent and placed a kiss on my neck, and I shivered at his touch. He trailed his lips down to my ear and nibbled my earlobe. "Abdul," I moaned deeply, again when his mouth found the sweet spot under my ear. His arms snaked around my waist, his fingers tracing patterns on my stomach, his touch sending shivers down my spine.

"Cha...mp," I whimpered, chewing the inside of my cheeks as he nuzzled into the crook of my neck, and I gave him full access. His phone rang loudly, making us split apart, breathing heavily, before he stretched out his hand to pick up the call.

I gently moved away from his body as he stood up from the bed. I didn't know who called him or what the person told him, but I heard the sound of his phone slipping from his hand and his anguished shout of "Noooooo!" made my heart race faster. Before I could even react, he fell to the ground, unconscious. "ABDUL!" I screamed at the top of my voice...