Chapter7

Zarah..
"Today is going to be the worst day of my life. I have to attend that wedding, not because I want to, but because I have to go to that house. Ammi told me to dress up, but I'm stuck in my closet, surrounded by my scattered wardrobe, unsure of what to wear. Anty Ramla is doing the bride's makeup, which is why Ammi told me to get ready on time. I'm only happy about one thing - I'll get money from Anty Ramla, and I want to use it to buy that atamfa I saw in the market for 6,000 naira. Plus, my friend Badiya is getting married next month, so I'll need to prepare for that too. They brought her aso ebi for the dinner, kamu, and the wedding fatiha... that's the only reason I'm happy today. The makeup for the bride alone costs 200,000 naira! When I get back, I'll write a long list for her..."

"I smiled at the thought of her buying me ice cream - I love ice cream a lot and never get tired of eating it! But, I'm still unsure of what to wear... let me just go to Anty Ramla's place, she should do my makeup. Time isn't on our side, it's already 7:30.    When I asked her earlier, she said she wouldn't do my face, but I went on my knees, begging her, and even returned her lipstick and turban that I had borrowed. That's when she finally agreed.

"Anty Ram, Anty Ramla, let's start the makeup!" I said, trying to get her attention. But she ignored me, too busy pressing her phone. She is already dressed in a beautiful pink lace outfit with a touch of white - she looked stunning! I knew she wouldn't say no to me, despite her initial refusal. "

Anty Ramla, please, please sit down and do my makeup. If you talk again, you know exactly what will happen... and we wouldn't want that, especially with our elders at home."

I sat down quietly, and in just a few minutes, the makeup is done. I rushed to my room, gazing at my scattered wardrobe once again. Ammi would definitely scold me if she saw the state of my room, but I didn't have time to fold the clothes. I quickly grabbed a green gown - it looked like a dinner gown - and put it on. I checked myself in the mirror, and not bad, I looked beautiful! I knew it.

"Do you guys know that it's Anty Ramla's turban that I took again? She doesn't know I borrowed it... but I know she won't say anything to me until we get back home," I thought to myself.

Ya Hafix and Chuchu dropped us off at the house, and we walked towards the entrance. A girl led us inside.

As I looked around, I noticed that the bride's friends are  all classy and rich, and from what I heard, she is  marrying a wealthy man. I settled on the edge of the bed, pulled out my phone, and started scrolling while Anty Ramla continued with the makeup. My eyes landed on my crush's story; he had posted a picture with his friends, all dressed in kaftans, captioned "Kaduna". "That means he's in Kaduna?" I wondered aloud. "Oh Allah, please let me meet him, even if it's just for a second. Even if it's on the road." I glanced at my watch - it's already 9:00 pm. They have said the event would start at 8:00 pm, but this is Nigeria, where everything runs on "African time". The bride's makeup was done, and Anty Ramla is now working on the bride's sister's makeup. I'm exhausted, wallahi.

"The groom's cars are here," someone announced. "Everyone should start heading to the venue." I could hear footsteps hurrying out the door. A girl made another announcement, and I assumed she is the bride's best friend. Meanwhile, the people waiting for their makeup are still lingering around. It is  already 9:30, and Anty Ramla is  still working on the bride's mom's makeup. I kept my smile to myself, thinking about all the things I want to buy.

"Zarah, you should go too," the bride's mom said. I wanted to decline, but something held me back. I pressed my lips together and looked at Anty Ramla, who nodded in agreement.

The cars outside are full," someone mentioned. "

No, she should wait outside," another girl suggested. "Faisal told me they're on their way," the first girl said. "More cars are coming. Just wait outside."

The fact that I didn't know anyone made me feel awkward. I picked up my bag and slid my feet into my shoes, loving the feeling of wearing high heels - half of my shoes were heels, after all! I walked outside, and the wind is  blowing fiercely.

If I stood there too long, I would have turned into an ice block. Just as I was about to walk back inside, I saw three cars coming up the driveway. I admired those cars - a Ford, a Nissan, and a Mercedes - in black, white, and maroon. My heart started beating faster for some reason. I closed my eyes and tried to settle my nerves.

When I opened my eyes, I looked at where the cars are  parked. Everyone started rushing to them, but I walked slowly to the black Mercedes. It was tinted, so I couldn't see inside. I tried to open the door, but it was locked. I guess the person inside saw me, as they unlocked the car and let me in. I got into the passenger seat and closed the door. He turned on the engine, and I thought, "Wow, he's not going to pick anyone else up."

"Ya Illahi," I whispered, unsure why my heart is  racing so fast. I closed my eyes, leaning back in the seat, and savored the scent of the car and the soothing music playing in the background. "I feel like someone's eyes are roaming around me... why won't he look at me? I'm acting like I'm in my brother's car!" I opened my eyes slowly and fixed my gaze on him. Our eyes locked for a few seconds before he tore his gaze away and focused on the road.

My blood froze. I couldn't look away. I blinked several times, trying to convince myself that I wasn't dreaming. Was I really in Abdullah's car? Is  he really driving me? I had dreamed about this moment for years, and now it is  finally happening. I have to pinch myself to make sure I am dreaming. I thanked Allah for this moment.

I couldn't tear my eyes away from him. He turned his head towards me, one eyebrow arched in surprise. If I died right then, I would have died happy. Please, someone, pour some water on the ground for me to drink! I couldn't let this opportunity slip away.

I have to say something. "What should I say?" I thought, my mind racing. "Oh Allah, I'm totally speechless!" But then, he spoke up. "Do you need anything?" he asked, his deep, husky voice calm and soothing.

I shook my head and nodded at the same time, feeling flustered.

He chuckled, a gentle sound. "You said yes and no at the same time. Which one should I take?" he asked, a hint of amusement in his tone.

"Anyone,

you need something, I pick yes...

I trailed off, turning to face the window. He mumbled something I couldn't quite hear.

What?" I asked, turning back to him.

So..." he started to say, but I didn't catch the rest. "

What?" I asked again, my curiosity piqued.

"What's your name?" he asked, his eyes crinkling at the corners.

I smiled, feeling a little shy. "Fatima," I replied.

"You've got a nice name, Masha Allah," he said, his voice warm.

"Thank you," I said, feeling a flutter in my chest.

He just nodded his head, his eyes never leaving mine. "Are you tired?" he asked, his brow furrowed in concern.

"What did you see?" I asked, confused.

"Nothing, I just saw you closing your eyes, leaning against the car seat... you know, like you are tired or something," he explained.

"Oh, no, I'm not tired," I assured him. "I just don't like going to the dinner..."