Chapter 68

Saad's pov: 

As soon as we headed out of Suva airport, the humid air and the faintly familiar moist smell hit my face, reminding me of her. Of my wife. This was the same place where we met and our story started. This was the same place where I spent a few of the most precious moments of my life. And yet, now this was the same place which was the reason for my nightmares. The same place where once happiness resided now resided nothing but haunting memories and painful encounters. I never knew a mere place could have this effect on me. Or that it could be the reason for this much hurt. 

Looking around, I blinked my glazed orbs, trying not to let my tears flow. Dabbing under my eyes discreetly, I gulped the lump formed in my throat. 'Not now. Not here.' I reminded myself while closing my eyes and taking a few deep breaths. 

"Saad! Yaar, I'm tired!" I was brought out of my dazed state when Ali whined while patting my shoulder loudly, making me wince slightly. 

(Man,)

"Abhi to we haven't even reached the location. How can you get tired so soon?" Shrugging my shoulder out of his hold, I replied while trying to ease the knots formed on my neck. 

(Until now) 

"Allah, yaha se kaha jaana hai ab?! Aur kitni der lagegi?" Looking horrified, he exclaimed worriedly. 

(God, where do we have to go now?! And how much more time will it take?) 

"Hame abhi yaha se Ba town jaana hai which is 3 hours away from here by road." Looking around while trying to spot our car which the office had arranged for us, I replied. 

(We have to go to Ba town now which is 3 hours away from here by road.)!

"Ya Allah, what was I thinking when I decided to come here with him?! Couldn't you have stopped me from coming here?!" He whined dramatically, making me roll my eyes. 

"Aapka drama khatam ho gaya ho to hum ab chale yaha se drama king ji?" Finally spotting the car with a guy, most probably the driver, standing there with a board in his hands, I inquired. 

(If you are done then can we leave Mr. Drama king?) 

"Mai koi drama wagera nahi kar raha hu, sach hi keh raha hu. Allah jaane maine tumhe apna sabse accha dost kis mauke par aur kis liye bana liya tha?! Jab dekho tab mujhe tang karte rehte ho! Sharam nahi aati kya mujhe tang karne me? Aur jab meri shaadi ho jayegi tab to mujhe meri biwi tang karne ke liye hogi hi naa?! To abhi se tum mujhe kyu tang karte ho? Aisi bhi konsi dushmani hai tumhari mujh se?!" He went on rambling, making me look at him incredulously. What was with him and bringing up the topic of marriage in almost every conversation? 

(I'm not kidding. God knows when and why I made you my best friend?! You are always annoying me! Don't you feel ashamed by doing that? And when I get married, my wife will be there to annoy me, right? Then why do you annoy me now? Why do you hate me so much?!) 

"Ya Allah, chup ho jao ab! Maine galti hi kar di tumhe kuch bhi keh kar. Kitna bolte ho tum!" Finally getting fed up, I muttered in annoyance. 

(Oh God, shut up! It was my mistake to even tell you anything. You speak too much!) 

"Haa haa, mai to-" Just a glare from me and he quickly shut his mouth, but not before grumbling something under his breath. Rubbing my forefinger and thumb on my forehead, I closed my eyes as a tired groan escaped my lips. I was already having a headache and his rant was just the perfect cherry on top of the cake.