Chapter 55

Atifa's pov:

"Ya Allah stop!" I shrieked while moving back, trying to keep my balance. We were knee deep in the water, and 'someone' couldn't stop splashing water around like a kid. Even the kids were behaving better than him! 

"What am I even doing?" Looking at me, he questioned innocently. His lower lip was pulled in between his teeth to suppress his smile while mirth was clearly visible in his hazel orbs as he turned to look at the kids before asking them. "Am I doing anything?" 

"Bhai..." 

"No…" 

Alayna and Amira giggled at the same time, making me narrow my eyes at them. These little devil's! Obviously they were going to take his side, after all he was their 'best bhai'. But it seemed like, even my glare wasn't working on them today. 

"Seriously? You all are crazy!" Shaking my head, I muttered incredulously. 

"But you love us anyway." Amira grinned while looking at me sheepishly. 

"Who told you that?" Raising a brow - which they obviously couldn't see - I asked her. 

"We just know." She sang while stretching w, giggles escaping her lips as she splashed the water at Alayna, following her 'bhaijaan's' footsteps. 

"And why do you think so?" I inquired further, highly aware of someone's gaze on me, noticing my every move. 

If I accepted her statement, then that would have meant that I indirectly confessed my love for… him… And I still wasn't sure about it. 

"Because…" 

"Because even when you are annoyed, you are still here with us in the water." He intervened, and I didn't dare look in his way. I knew he was waiting for me to turn to look at him or something, but I wasn't ready to do that. 

"That- It's not because of that!" I protested, unsure about the reason myself. I mean, I didn't know what reason to give him if he inquired me further. 

"Accha. Then what is it?" From the corner of my eye, I could see him taking a step ahead as he questioned. What was going on in his head? 

(I see.)

"That- It's- I-" Stammering, I tried to think of a valid reason to give. Coming to think about it, I didn't even know why I was still in the water when he was annoying me so much. "I'm here just because I don't want to upset Mira and Alayna. Nothing else." Looking up at him, I replied confidently, proud of myself for finding a valid reason. 

"Accha. Nothing else, right?" Not breaking our eye contact, he asked me. 

(I see.)

"Yeah!" 

"Then here you go!" And in a swift moment, water was once again splashed on me, making me cover my face with my arm as I squeezed my eyes shut. 

"Allah! Saad!" Exclaiming, I turned to the glare at him. He wouldn't stop, would he? "I hate you!" I muttered angrily through gritted teeth. 

"But you adore us, right?" Coming to stand beside me, Alayna tugged my abaya while asking me cheekily. 

"Yes, but only you and Mira. Not your khadoos bhai." Looking down at her, I acknowledged with a tight smile. 

(Rude brother.)

"But why not bhai?" She giggled, her gaze flickering between him and me. 

"Yes, please let me know too. Why not me?" Looking at me with wide eyes, trying to appear innocent, he piped in.