Chapter 48

Atifa's pov:

"Assalamualikum ammi. Aa- aap jaldi aa gayi aaj?" I said, surprised as well as shocked, not knowing what else to say. What if she asked me about Amira? What would I do? It was the one question which was roaming in my mind, eating me up from inside.

(Hi mom, Yo- you are early today?)

"Walikumussalam. Hmm... Kyu, koi problem hai?" Opening the strap of her heels, she hummed before asking me nonchalantly.

(Hello. Hmm... Why, is there any problem?)

"Nahi. Bas aise hi puch rahi thi." I replied quickly, closing the door and wiping the sweat forming on my upper lip.

(No. I was just asking you.)

"Accha. Paani dena mujhe." Rubbing her neck, she said while heading inside.

(Okay. Bring me a glass of water.)

"Jee. Abhi leke aai." I replied, rushing into the kitchen. I just hoped for them not to return home now. Taking a glass of water back to her, I glanced at the clock behind her. It was getting late. They should have been here by now but ammi was here before them. Grabbing the glass from me, she gulped a few sips.

(Okay. I'm bringing it.)

"Amira kaha par hai?" Checking something on her mobile, she asked me the most dreaded question, halting my fidgeting game and making my breath come out shallow.

(Where is Amira?)

"Wo- hamare kamre me hai." Gulping, I replied, hoping she would believe me and wouldn't ask me any more questions. But we couldn't deny the eerie silence of the house which was usually filled with her chatter.

(She- is in our room.)

"Accha. Kya kar rahi hai?" She inquired, glancing up from her mobile and keeping her bag on the coffee table.

(I see. What is she doing?)

"Pata nahi. Dekhna padega." I replied whatever came to my mind, not really thinking about it.

(I don't know. I will have to see.)

"Accha." Getting distracted by an incoming call, she headed to her room, making me sigh in relief. I rushed to the kitchen, worried about them. What if ammi caught them today? Would the results be as bad as I think of them to be?

(Okay.)

"Amira I bought something for you." I was making tea when she returned to the living room to grab her bag and called out, making me sweat profusely. I was scared. What was I supposed to do now? "Atifa if she comes out, tell her it's on the table." She called out to me and before I could reply, I heard the door of the washroom closing shut, making me sigh in relief.

Just as I let my muscles relax, the doorbell rang, making me jump up in my place. Placing a hand on my heart, I calmed myself down before rushing towards the door. If it is him, then he is dead, I decided.

Opening the door, I saw him about to ring the bell once again. That was close. I was kind of thankful that he didn't ring it more than once, because I didn't know how to answer ammi if she heard it.

Amira was leaning her face on his hand and dozing off, making me sigh in relief at the fact that at least she was home now and I wouldn't have to lie to ammi about anything.