Chapter 69

Atifa's pov: 

It was rare for ammi to cook something since we moved to Ba town, but today was one of those rare days when she was in the kitchen, making our favourite kheer. It was kind of surprising for us, for her to suddenly want to make kheer, but we didn't say anything. 

Mira was in our room, learning something for her upcoming test. Our finals were just around the corner, the syllabus done, just the revision with occasional tests remained. 

It was my last year in University before my bachelors would complete and I would graduate. And with that, one of my dreams would come to an end. Or should I say, it would be accomplished. 

But here's the thing, since I was unable to concentrate on my studies, I decided to dust the house, because maybe then I would get bored enough to actually study. But so far, it wasn't working, my mind was busy wandering to my old memories, making me frustrated. Why couldn't it just stay in one place?! 

I was dusting ammi's room when something caught my eye. Squinting my eyes, I moved closer to the half opened bedside drawer to slide the half closed lid of a wooden box. Weirdly enough, there were a number of folded chits in there. But there was something else which caught my attention too. So keeping the lid back on the box, I opened the drawer anxiously, highly aware of the fact that ammi was still at home and she could burst into her room anytime. 

But focusing back on the task at hand, I took out the wooden box to have a clearer look to quench the thirst of my curiosity. It was not just the slightly opened drawer which made me intrigued but a brown leather journal which was kept inside was what caught my eye. 

Opening the drawer, I hesitated before finally taking it out. Running my hand over the cover, I was about to open it when a stack of envelopes caught my eye. They were stuffed to the back of the drawer, under the journal, as if to keep them concealed. But before I could even touch them, a folded paper fell from the journal, making me frown. What was that? And why had I never seen this diary before? 

Bending down, I picked up the paper, but in that process, something else fell from it. Confused, I was about to pick it up when ammi quickly picked it up and snatched the paper from my hand, a furious look on her face, which clearly indicated that I was doomed! Ya Allah, save me now! I murmured in my heart when I noticed her tight hold on the paper, which crumbled it and made her knuckles turn white. 

Quickly keeping the journal at the table, I attempted to clarify myself. "Am- ammi, I- I was just dusting your room when-" 

"SHUT UP! JUST SHUT UP! DID YOU ASK ME BEFORE  ENTERING MY ROOM?! HOW DARE YOU EVEN COME HERE LIKE THIS AND SNOOP AROUND?!" Gritting her teeth, she yelled angrily, her face red.  

"A- Ammi no, it- it's not like that. I wasn't snooping around or anything. I- I just came here to dust your room." Stumbling while trying to step back, I replied, scared about her next move. 

"Oh really?! Then what was that journal doing in your hand? And what about that box, huh? Who took it out?" Folding her hands and looking at me inquisitively, she inquired, not believing me. 

"I- it caught my eye so I took them out to see. I'm sorry, I-" 

"Don't. Don't you even dare make any excuses for this! Besharam ladki! Kamre se kuch der ke liye gayab kya ho jao hamare to kamre ki talashi shuru ho jaati hai!" Muttering angrily, she interrupted me while snatching the journal from the table and keeping the paper back in it. 

(Shameless girl! I just left the room for a while and people started fishing around my room!) 

"N- nahi ammi, I'm sorry. Aisa- aisa kuch nahi-"