Chapter 30

Atifa's pov :

I rushed upstairs as soon as we got home. One of the reasons was the stickiness on my abaya. It was making me uncomfortable and I just wanted to wash it off. And even my hands had gotten sticky just because of him. The other reason was obviously him. I just didn't feel like facing him after that little moment of ours. I mean... I just mean that I was crazy for doing that and being childish in front of him. What was I even thinking?

And I also needed some time for myself. I didn't want to face anyone with my puffy face. Especially not ammi. I didn't even know how to face her anymore. Sighing, I took off my abaya and went to the washroom to soak it and wash my face.

Coming to think about it, I didn't even know how to face him too now. Maybe I should just stay in the washroom until I feel like I could face them? God! It was so awkward and embarrassing. Ya Allah help me, I thought. Why did I always manage to embarrass myself and make things harder for me?

Washing my face and calming my racing thoughts, I came out of the washroom. Thankfully, no one was in the room. Checking my face in the mirror of my dressing table, I lined my eyes with kohl and moisturised my chapped lips before grabbing a hijab and heading downstairs.

Now I was feeling guilty for not being the one to make food or help ammi out when I should be handling this work. At least I could have made the food before heading out. Now she did all the work alone. God! What was wrong with me? Why couldn't I just do something right for once? I always had to mess things up, right?

Frustrated with myself, I rushed to the kitchen only to find it empty. Where was ammi? And others? The voices coming from the living room answered one of my questions. But I still didn't know where ammi was. Sighing, I checked the time before setting up the table. Maybe she was praying.

I was lost in my thoughts, keeping the glasses on the table when I heard ammi's voice exclaiming in relief. "Oh you are back alhamdulillah. Where did you go?"

"Yeah. Sorry I went to the park without informing you." I apologised sheepishly.

"It's okay. I hope you enjoyed yourself." Smiling slightly at me, she headed towards the kitchen.

I was at a loss of words at her statement. Surely I couldn't lie or anything. Sighing, I decided to just stay quiet instead. "I'm going to call everyone for lunch." I called out before heading out to the living room.

"Okay." I heard her faint reply from behind.

"Come on everyone. Lunch is ready." I called out from the door of the living room, looking towards Amira and Alayna, avoiding his gaze. I could feel him looking at me, which made me uncomfortable. My gaze flickered in his direction and as expected, he was gazing at me with an amused look on his face.

My gaze travelled to his shirt, which was still smeared with ice-cream, making me laugh. I covered my mouth while turning my face away from him. He looked confused to say the least as he stood up, coming towards me. Amira and Alayna too giggled, following my gaze and looking at him before running out towards the kitchen.

"You could have at least changed your shirt." I muttered, shaking my head and gesturing towards his shirt when he was a few feets away from me, at the same time taking a step back. "And stop right there! Don't you dare come near me. Go and change before coming for lunch." I added in a warning tone when I saw him advancing towards me.

"Why?" He questioned, amusement clear in his voice.

"Because I just changed and I hate that stickiness." I replied while looking at him with narrowed eyes and folding my arms.