Prologue

Atifa's pov :

It was a pleasant day, the birds were chirping and the sun was shining brightly. I came back running home from my school bus. Today was a big day for me.

I opened the door and entered my home calling out 'Assalamualikum', and reciting the dua 'Bismillahi – Walajna – Wa – Bismillahi – Kharajna – Wa – Aala – Rabbina – Tawakkalna.'

(In the name of Allah we have entered, and in the name of Allah we have gone out, and in Allah or Lord do we trust). Abu Dawud 4/325. Muslim {Hadith no. 2018) says that one should mention the Name of Allah when entering the home and when beginning to eat; and that the devil, hearing this, says: "There is no shelter for us here tonight and no food".

Why would I let shaytan enter my home? I closed the door and ran to ammi knowing where she would be present. And as expected, she was in the kitchen, making my favorite food. It was Chicken Biryani. I hugged her from behind. "Assalamualikum Ammi" I greeted her and pecked her cheeks.

"Walikumussalam beta, How was your school?" Ammi asked me while carefully closing the lid of the pot. (Son/daughter)

"Alhamdulillah it was good. Today I am so happy ammi, I won first prize in our Quiz competition! You know? It was so much fun! I even got a free period to spend time with my bestie! We were even able to play different games…" I began my rambling.

"Calm down bacche, first drink water and go pray. Your abbu might be coming soon and the lunch is almost ready. We can talk afterwards!" Ammi interrupted with a smile while handing me a glass of water. (Child)

"Ammi, Where is Mira?" Suddenly I remembered about Amira, my little sister. She is three years old and she is the cutest thing ever! The house seemed pretty quite today so it made me suspicious as well as worried about her.

"She is sleeping in my room right now." Replied ammi while turning back to do her work.

"Oh okay." I sat down on the chair in the kitchen island, said 'Bismillah' (In the name of Allah) and drank the glass of water in 3 sips and said 'Alhamdulillah' (All praise is due to Allah alone) as it is sunnah to drink water in 3 sips while saying these praises.

In today's world if a person follows a sunnah they get the rewards of 100 martyrs, so why not gain the rewards. Then I went up to my room to freshen up and pray.

After praying I thought of doing some homework. But the excitement of telling my parents everything was eating me up. Nevertheless, I started doing my English essay and I got so engrossed in it that I forgot the time. English was my favourite subject. I was just completing the essay when I heard ammi calling me down for lunch. 'So abbu is back' I thought excitedly. "Coming!" I shouted to let her know that I heard her. I closed my book before running downstairs.

I saw abbu sitting on the table waiting for us. Our house was not big, but it was not small either. In fact it was perfect for us. There were four bedrooms attached with washrooms, a living room, a drawing room and a kitchen along with a dining room. The living room faces the kitchen which is attached to the dining room. As I was standing on the steps I could see the dining room from here. Three bedrooms were upstairs while the remaining room downstairs.

"Atifa api!" Amira squealed while running towards me. She was, I guess going to the dining room but saw me and decided to run towards me. Oh yeah! I forgot to introduce myself. I am Atifa Ahmed. I am thirteen years old and studying in class eighth. What else can I say about myself? I guess we will get to know as the story proceeds…

"Assalamualikum Mira." I greeted as I caught her.

She squealed once again as I lifted her to carry and replied sheepishly, "Walikumussalam api."