Chapter 73

Saad's pov: 

"Who was trying to kill you?" Raising a brow, the officer inquired as the constable stood beside him with a pen and some papers, ready to write whatever I tell them. 

"Yes, please tell us, don't hesitate. No one will be able to harm you now. And please meet me in my cabin after this." The doctor patted my shoulder while giving me a nod before walking away, without even telling me anything about Atifa or ammi! 

"What if I don't want to file any complaint?" Glaring at the retreating figure of the doctor and folding my arms, I asked through gritted teeth. That guy was testing my patience. I was waiting for their reports for so long and when he came out, he wanted me to complain first? Was he crazy or what? 

"We are sorry sir but it is a police case, someone was shot and for that, a gun was used. Which could be illegal so we need to investigate. And we can't do that if you don't cooperate." Shaking his head in dejection, the officer replied. 

"What if it isn't actually illegal? Then?" Turning my gaze to look at him, I counter questioned with a raised brow. 

"We will first have to investigate to know that. Please cooperate and answer us." Looking at me suspiciously, he replied. 

"It is my mother-in-law's gun. And she was the one who accidentally shot her daughter while aiming at me." Squeezing my eyes shut in frustration, I ran a hand through my face before looking at them and replying reluctantly. 

"So it was an attempted murder. But why would she want to kill you, her own son in-law?" Pacing in front of me, he stated while nodding his head, looking intrigued. 

"No, it wasn't. She was just trying to scare me." Quickly defending her, I shook my head. I couldn't get her in any mess, not because of me. Especially when I knew that she wasn't like this. There was something wrong somewhere, and we had to find just that! 

"Why? If you are scared then please don't hesitate in telling us anything, we won't let anyone harm you." Quirking his brow, the officer inquired while finally stopping in front of me. I could hear Ali sighing in annoyance as he shook his head and leaned back on the bench. 

"I'm not scared or anything so I'm not lying. We were just teasing each other about something when she took out her gun to scare me, but my wife came in between us and she ended up shooting her somehow." Closing my eyes, I willed myself to lie. Honestly speaking, at first I actually thought that she was just kidding, so it wasn't entirely a lie. It just so turned out that she was being serious, and not just teasing me.  

"But it could be possible that she was actually trying to kill you because why else would someone actually pull the trigger of a gun." The officer concluded while nodding his head, looking deep in his thoughts. "By the way, where is that gun now? And your mother-in-law?" 

"I- I don't know. I don't remember anyone picking the gun up while coming here. Ya Allah, we must have left it there!" Realising we actually didn't pick up the gun while coming here, I ran a hand through my hair while starting to pace around in frustration. Now what were we supposed to do? And what if someone had already picked up the gun, what would we do then? 

"Where? The place where the incident took place?" Looking at me inquisitively, he inquired. 

"Yes. Oh God, I shouldn't have been so careless! Allah!" As these thoughts continued to roam around my mind, I felt like banging my head somewhere. 

"When did this incident take place, at what time?" Gesturing something to the constable, the officer asked me while taking a step towards me. 

"Around 2:30 pm." I mumbled as a searing headache shot through my head, making me more frustrated.