Chapter 60

Atifa's pov: 

"Kya hua ammi, why are you even doing this? Is there any problem?" Looking at her keeping Amira's clothes in her suitcase, I inquired slowly, gently. 

(What happened,) 

"Don't question me." She replied monotonously while concentrating on her work. 

"But why? Did I do something? Or did they do something?" Frowning, I asked her, internally praying to get some sort of proper answer from her. 

"Maine kaha na don't ask me anything! Aur ek kaam kaha tha ke packing kar lo, lekin wo bhi nahi hui hai yaha to! Mujhse behes karne ke bajae tum chup chaap apni packing karo to zyada behtar hoga!" While angrily glaring at me, she snapped. 

(I told you don't ask me anything! And I told you to do one work, but even that isn't done here! Instead of arguing with me, it will be better if you continue packing quietly.) 

"Agar aap mujhe reason bata dein to mai behes hi nahi karungi na! Kya masla hai ammi?! Why are you being so secretive?" Getting frustrated, I exclaimed while throwing my hands beside me. 

(If you tell me the reason then I won't argue with you! What's the matter mom?) 

"You are saying as if you don't know me. Mai aisi hi hu, aur kam se kam ye baat to tumhe bhi pata chal hi gayi hogi na ab tak? Aakhirkaar beti ho tum meri, ab hum itne ajnabi bhi to nahi honge na?" Raising a brow and folding her hands, she inquired knowingly. 

(I'm like this only, and you should have at least known this by now, right? Afterall you are my daughter, now we aren't that unfamiliar with each other too, right?) 

"Ammi ye waqt paheliya bunne ka nahi hai, aap sidha sidha mujhe bata dijiye na ke baat kya hai, mai kisi ko nahi bataungi." Rubbing my hands on my face, I asked her hopefully, ignoring the snide remark in her voice. 

(It's not the time to talk in riddles mom, just tell me what happened, I won't tell anyone.) 

"Mujhe acche se pata hai ke tum kisko bataogi aur kisko nahi. To tum agar chup hi raho to behtar hoga." Giving me a sharp glare, she got back to her work. 

(I know very well who you will tell and who you won't tell. So it would be better if you just keep quiet.) 

"Itna to bharosa kar lijiye aap mujh par. Sach me agar aap nahi chahti to mai kisi ko nahi bataungi." I whined, getting annoyed. Why couldn't she just trust me for once? Was I that untrustable? Or was there actually no reason behind this decision of hers? 

(Trust me at least this much. If you wouldn't want me to tell anyone, I won't.) 

"SHUT UP, JUST SHUT UP ATIFA! Dimaag kharab kar diya hai tumne mera! Agar mujhe tumhe batana hota to mai bata deti, jabse zidd kiye jaa rahi ho tum!" Getting frustrated, she raised her hand at me but stopped midway, making me look at her in shock as tears blurred my vision. Was that a sensitive topic? Maybe it was. Maybe I was whining too much which forced her to go this far. I shouldn't have done that. Ya Allah! I should just apologise to her. 

(You are making me annoyed! If I would have wanted to tell you then I would have already told you, but no, you are whining from so long!) 

Fisting her hand mid air, she pointed a finger at me before adding sharply while giving me a cold look. "Aur haa, tumhari kitni bhi zidd karne se, ya surprisingly mere answer dene se ye masla hal nahi ho jayega. Tum mere saath hi chalogi, yaad haina?"