"𝐚𝐡, 𝐦𝐲 𝐛𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐟𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐝 𝐢𝐬 𝐚 𝐝𝐨𝐮𝐛𝐥𝐞-𝐛𝐨𝐚𝐫𝐝 𝐜𝐞𝐫𝐭𝐢𝐟𝐢𝐞𝐝 𝐬𝐮𝐫𝐠𝐞𝐨𝐧" - 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 47

grace and jackson had woken up, and they instantly got ready, since they only had a few hours. "just go and get the pencil" grace chuckled, as she walked over to jackson. she was wearing a navy blue dress, with some nude heels. "could you zip it up, please" she asked him as she turned around.

"okay, i'll be back in a few minutes" he smiled, as he kissed her on the cheek before leaving to get his pencil.

grace stood at the mirror shaking her head and laughing, as she put in her earrings.

her phone began to ring, so she answered it and saw it was lexie. "hey, grace. i know you're busy and need to go soon, but i just wanted to wish you good luck" lexie told her.

"aw! thank you" grace smiled.

❀❀❀

jackson came back to the room and he was super pissed. "woah, what's up?"

"the chief banged my mom" he sighed, as she placed his hand on his forehead.

"he what!?" grace exclaimed. "you're joking?"

"well, he answer her door and he was only dressed in a robe" he explained. "i then knocked again, and my mom answered, and she was dressed in just a shirt" he cringed as he thought about it.

"aw, come here" grace frowned. "are you okay?"

"i don't know. i'm definitely scarred, i know that" he told her, as she just laughed and hugged him again.

❀❀❀

they got to the halls, where they had to wait, before going in and speaking to the examiners. "jackson avery" the examiner called out.

"good luck" grace smiled to him.

"you too" he smiled back, as he walked into the room.

"grace donahue" an examiner called out.
"here" grace said, as she stood up and walked into the room.

'please don't mess up, please don't mess up' she thought to herself.

❀❀❀

session 1...

"welcome to the american medical board of surgery certifying examination" the examiner smiled. "we'll give you four separate scenarios in three 30 minute sessions, 10 minute breaks in between" they explained. "to pass the test, you must pass two of the three sessions. now you can fail a session and still pass. but examiners are not permitted to indicate whether you passed or failed each session"

"you'll be rated on your ability to diagnose, manage treatment, hand the unexpected. basically, the strength of your constitution in crisis. and when we move on to the next scenario, there's no doubling back"

"okay, understood" grace nodded, as she took a deep breath.

"a 65 year old woman is being seen by her primary care physician for a workup of osteoporosis, when she is found to have elevated calcium. her PTH level was well above normal. her doctor sends her to you" the examiner explained.

"elevated calcium and PTH would indicate primary
hyperparathyroidism" grace explained. "i would offer the patient a parathyroidectomy, and first i would explore the right side. if that gland is large i would biopsy it" she told them. "next, i would resect it and explore the other glands"

"that's an aggressive choice" her examiner told her.
"well i could wait for the IPM, before taking further actions" grace alternatively said.

"and you think that's the right choice?" he asked her.
"yes, i do" grace nodded, before explaining the next steps.