"𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐲 𝐛𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐡𝐝𝐚𝐲, 𝐠𝐫𝐚𝐜𝐞" - 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟔𝟔

it was the 6th june, which meant only one thing. it was grace's birthday. this also meant that it was only 18 days until the wedding.

grace didn't want anything big for her birthday, since the wedding was only a few weeks away. she just wanted to have a few drinks with her friends.

"happy birthday, beautiful" she heard jackson whisper, as she slowly opened her hazel eyes.

"am i really thirty-three?" she groaned, as she sat up.

"here, i made you this" he smiled, as he handed her a tray with coffee, pancakes and fruit salad on.

"i love you" grace smiled, as she gave him a kiss.

"i love you too" he replied, before pulling back in.

❀❀❀

they had arrived at the hospital and they were making their way to the attendings lounge.

"happy birthday, dr donahue" one of the nurses smiled.

"thank you" grace replied, looking back, before turning to jackson. "remember, i don't want any big surprises or anything like that" she told him.

"mhm" he nodded, trying to hide the smile on his face.

"i'm serious" grace told him. "it's too much, with the wedding coming up and everything" she sighed.

"yep" he nodded again, before grabbing the door handle and opening it.

"happy birthday!" all the attendings cheered.

there were 'happy birthday' banners hung up alright, confetti everywhere, a cake, and they were all wearing party hats.

grace just burst out laughing as she clapped her hands together. "i told you not to do anything" she laughed, as she looked up at jackson.

"i didn't plan this" he said with his hands up. "they did" he smiled.

"aw you guys" grace blushed, as she looked at them all. "thank you" she smiled.

"can we eat the cake now?" he asked, as april nodded.

❀❀❀

grace got into her scrubs and tied her hair up into a messy bun, as she headed to the ER. "brooks" she smiled, as she handed grace the patient file.

"happy birthday, dr donahue" brooks smiled.

"thank you so much" grace smiled back, as they headed towards the patient.

❀❀❀

"hello, i'm dr donahue" grace smiled, as she got to the patients bed. "brooks?"

"oh, uh, lukas brady. fourteen years old. he was admitted last night with abdominal pain" she presented.

"alright, lukas" grace said, as she walked closer towards him. "can you describe the pain to me?" she asked.

"i-it hurts when i move" lukas winced. "it feels like someone's stabbing me" he complained, as he held his hands over the spot where it hurt.

"it started with him complaining about small cramps, but then it became much worse" mrs brady explained.

"alright" grace nodded. "could i please take a look at the area?" she asked him, as he removed his hands.